You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#51 2011-05-17 02:53:43

SurgeChris

Re: [Subproject] Sunshine Paradise

SilverstepP wrote:

Hey guys...

Now you have some enemies in SurgeChris' level (Sunshine Paradise act 1, according to level select) in the dropbox, graphics hand-drawn by me. They will be improved and worked on as time passes. In the meantime, we at least have some things to work with in act 1 now. Check out the level and see what I'm talking about.

This will most likely be posted in it's own topic with some downloads soon if it needs improvement and I get stuck on something. Though, all it really needs is for the fish to have better animation, IMO. (The Flower Spring enemy turned out wonderfully in my opinion, the most it probably needs is some slight coloring adjustments and fine tuning)

I also vote that for sake of organization, that we put 'ssp_' in front of each .spr and .obj used in Sunshine Paradise. (ssp_springfling.spr, for example). We can do 'ww_' for Waterworks, 'bf_' for Black Forest, and so on. This makes it easier to find objects in a specific level.

Oh, and also, the fish needs some water or waterfalls to stay in. He looks kind of odd jumping from land.

HIGH-FIVE, SILVER! THIS IS AWESOME!
P.S.: I have dropbox. If you want to invite me, my email is christophermartinus (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Last edited by SurgeChris (2011-05-17 03:02:37)

Your teacher asks you. What to answer? Say this:
"I thought the teacher is supposed to know."

#52 2011-05-17 02:56:25

SilverstepP

SurgeChris wrote:

HIGH-FIVE, SILVER! THIS IS AWESOME!

Well. That's always good to hear. big_smile

#53 2011-05-17 03:18:21

SurgeChris

Should I invite you in dropbox? I want to share my folders with people in this forum who have dropbox. I'm new, si I have no idea on using it.

#54 2011-05-17 03:34:03

SilverstepP

SurgeChris wrote:

Should I invite you in dropbox? I want to share my folders with people in this forum who have dropbox. I'm new, si I have no idea on using it.

We don't need to share that folder. Me and several others here already share a folder called 'SurgeShared' or 'SurgeCutscene' (For some reason the name change didn't completely work). Export your folder's contents within this one so everyone else working on the folder can see it too.

PM me your email you used for dropbox (I can't find it) and I'll add you to the folder using that.

#55 2011-05-17 16:17:26

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Guys, listen!

This is becoming messy. People are doing anything they want to, the way they want to, and there's absolutely no control of it. We also have no idea if there's someone wanting to contribute who is doing nothing. This is bad for the project. We need more organization.

Here's what you're gonna do: this page has a list of tasks to be done - http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/ind … e_Paradise . I took the freedom to assign some of the tasks to some members who I know are doing the stuff already (pardon me if I made some mistake). If you're doing nothing and want to contribute, please either assign a task to yourself, or PM me, and we'll figure out something together. smile If you already have a task assigned to you, please report your progress on a frequent basis.

Please don't take too many tasks simultaneously for yourself. Before saying a task is complete, I'll evaluate if: 1. it fulfills the requirements and 2. if it's high quality.

Any questions? PM me or ask in the thread.

... and please guys, use only one dropbox location. smile

#56 2011-05-17 19:35:58

SilverstepP

Alexandre wrote:

People are doing anything they want to, the way they want to, and there's absolutely no control of it.
We also have no idea if there's someone wanting to contribute who is doing nothing

No control?

SilverstepP wrote:

I'll work on the barrel cannons and the trip hazard rock now. I'll also start designing some enemy gfx, which will be found in the dropbox soon.

I gave full warning about me doing this (or at least beginning it). I didn't act secretive of it. I said very clearly I was going to work on those things (and I am). And after I made some progress, I posted it.

If someone wants to contribute, they need to say something. I wanted to contribute, so I said something. The level specifications for this level that you posted several times gave PLENTY of 'hidden contributors' opportunities to do something. It listed EVERYTHING that the level needed. If they're doing nothing about it, they aren't really contributing, and that would be their fault. This is not a loss of control. It's people trying to be proactive and getting these things done.

Alexandre wrote:

Here's what you're gonna do: this page has a list of tasks to be done - http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/ind … e_Paradise . I took the freedom to assign some of the tasks to some members who I know are doing the stuff already (pardon me if I made some mistake). If you're doing nothing and want to contribute, please either assign a task to yourself, or PM me, and we'll figure out something together. smile If you already have a task assigned to you, please report your progress on a frequent basis.

This sounds reasonable enough. This will at least get people to know who's working on what. I recorded my progress just like you asked.

Alexandre wrote:

... and please guys, use only one dropbox location. smile

We are. I just got through explaining that to SurgeChris above. (I listed two names, but it's ONE FOLDER. It's just named 'SurgeCutscene' on some computers and 'SurgeShared' on others. I have no clue why this happened when I tried to rename it so ALL say 'SurgeShared', but it happened anyways.)

#57 2011-05-17 19:51:35

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

SilverstepP wrote:

I gave full warning about me doing this (or at least beginning it). I didn't act secretive of it. I said very clearly I was going to work on those things (and I am). And after I made some progress, I posted it.
If someone wants to contribute, they need to say something. I wanted to contribute, so I said something. The level specifications for this level that you posted several times gave PLENTY of 'hidden contributors' opportunities to do something. It listed EVERYTHING that the level needed. If they're doing nothing about it, they aren't really contributing, and that would be their fault. This is not a loss of control. It's people trying to be proactive and getting these things done.

that's right. I know you're being proactive. smile

I have put an inaccurate expression in my message. Rather than "no control", please read it as "very unorganized". I know you have said you'd work on the barrels, and that you started to make two enemies for the level. You did everything correctly. Still, one would need to read the whole thread carefully to know this basic information, as there was no centralized place holding that.

Luckily we have the wiki, so we can know better who is working on what and, if something goes wrong for some reason, we can know where to act.

Thanks for the understanding. smile

#58 2011-05-17 19:53:48

SilverstepP

OK, so it wasn't a lack of control but a lack of documentation. I understand.

#59 2011-05-17 21:39:07

lunarrush

Ok then, as per the way this should be documented, I have already started on the T-Bar and intend to continue working on it.  I will modify the wiki with the progress I've made and the fact that I'm working on it.

If I knew then what I know now I'd tell you that the story's true.  Cause whatever you do, it comes back to you.  -Slaughter, Burning Bridges

#60 2011-05-17 21:40:55

wrath1138

Just saw the task list Alex. I'm ok with designing the levels.

Was gonna suggest for the Water Skimmers for Act 2, I thought maybe you could jump on them and ride one for a last segment of the level. Also the bouncy vines, one of them could break making you fall down some trees breaking branches and stuff adding some spectacle to the level.

#61 2011-05-18 00:39:09

KZR
Website

updated my task status. i'm going to try and merge the best of both backgrounds (graphics and scrollings) in a river/forest setting.

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

#62 2011-05-18 00:58:37

SurgeChris

I updated my task status, too. smile

#63 2011-05-18 22:47:51

KZR
Website

due to the unfortunate event of a close relative being hospitalized, i won't have any progress this week, and i don't know about the next one yet, as i will be juggling a full time job with daily visits to the hospital and general everyday stuff.
If anyone wants to pick up from what's done so far, or try something different, please do smile For those who are new to this project, I was working on the background.

Please don't expect advances on my part until i get my personal stuff sorted out.

On a side note, this is the kind of teamwork that was yet to be seen in this community. keep setting the example for the future generations of OS contributors smile

#64 2011-05-20 12:53:16

KZR
Website

please see screenshot 30. those bricks at the cursor position are breakable, exposing a brick that's not supposed to be touched if you come from the left (270º brick)

screen 31 shows a spot without loops.

i corrected both.

the level is looking awesome smile

my relative is recovering nicely. i will have time to finish the background this weekend smile

Last edited by KZR (2011-05-20 12:58:12)

#65 2011-05-20 20:48:20

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

well, I really disagree. you guys know I'm always sincere in my criticism, but this is just to encourage you to make a good game.

The first revision of the brickset was simply great. Excellent 16-bit feeling. Now it's not that good anymore, because two incompatible graphic styles are being merged. It's a bad thing to merge CharlyTx's graphics style with 16-bit ones. Also, the brickset .png shape does not fit the specifications we have decided a few days ago: lots of 64x64 blocks composed of 16x16 bricks.

http://upload.surgeswarehouse.com/uploa … 4950PM.png - not good

So, please. Go back to revision #1 of the brickset and start from there. Please do not merge other third-party graphics in there. Make the brickset according to what is specified on the Sunshine Paradise page on the wiki. This is revision #1:

2cmucs7.jpg

KZR wrote:

my relative is recovering nicely.

that's great news! smile

#66 2011-05-21 01:20:40

SurgeChris

Alexandre wrote:

well, I really disagree. you guys know I'm always sincere in my criticism, but this is just to encourage you to make a good game.
The first revision of the brickset was simply great. Excellent 16-bit feeling. Now it's not that good anymore, because two incompatible graphic styles are being merged. It's a bad thing to merge CharlyTx's graphics style with 16-bit ones. Also, the brickset .png shape does not fit the specifications we have decided a few days ago: lots of 64x64 blocks composed of 16x16 bricks.
http://upload.surgeswarehouse.com/upload/Friday2 … 4950PM.png - not good
So, please. Go back to revision #1 of the brickset and start from there. Please do not merge other third-party graphics in there. Make the brickset according to what is specified on the Sunshine Paradise page on the wiki.

Yes, sir, Alex. But may I use Jason's grass and leaves? In my opinion they look retro enough.

Last edited by SurgeChris (2011-05-21 04:40:48)

#67 2011-05-21 04:36:44

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

SurgeChris wrote:

But may I use Jason's grass and leaves, in my opinion they look retro enough.

Of course. It's your brickset, your work, and therefore the decisions are yours. smile All I can do is give some constructive criticism, but the power is in your hands.

Jason's leaves look indeed more compatible with your brickset wink

Don't know about the grass though: while the grass from revision #1 of your bricksets resembles a genesis/32x game, Jason's grass resembles a snes game. I'd say your square pattern from revision #1 won't mix very well with Jason's grass. However, I'm not the oracle and I could be wrong. If you see that those two graphics genuinely make sense together, you may make an experiment and present it to us.

Open Surge is free software, so feel free to experiment on it.

#68 2011-05-21 05:39:23

SurgeChris

Can you comment on this:
2r5uqh5.png
I only wanted to make sure I don't have to restart again. smile
The brown stuff is a tree trunk.

Last edited by SurgeChris (2011-05-21 05:46:52)

#69 2011-05-21 11:54:01

Icy EyeG

I know I don't have much to do with this, as I'm not directly contributing, but may I suggest a palette change for the bushes and the trunk? Something like this:
2r5uqh5_palchange.png
This way it matches the rest of the bricks, and in the case of the trunk avoids the blurry look.
Although it needs improvement, you get my idea.

#70 2011-05-21 23:08:10

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

2r5uqh5_palchange.png

This palette-changed brickset is pretty good. Thanks! In order to give a more accurate opinion we need to test these graphics in the game, but at a first glance this revision looks good.

I encourage (but do not demand) you to create the brickset following the layout convention written in this page. That way it'd be possible to generate the any number of groups automatically. You may also choose to not follow that convention, if you prefer that way. In the end, all that matters for us is a good final work. smile

Nice! Keep up the good work! wink

#71 2011-05-21 23:45:03

KZR
Website

I have to agree that building the brickset like Alex is telling us to is the best way to avoid some glitches that a great part of the level has.
we get lots of pre-made groups, we can set the angles correctly, mix passables with solids at will, and most of the work of making the .brk is AUTOMATED, saving you time.

#72 2011-05-22 01:07:55

SurgeChris

Icy EyeG wrote:

I know I don't have much to do with this, as I'm not directly contributing, but may I suggest a palette change for the bushes and the trunk? Something like this

This way it matches the rest of the bricks, and in the case of the trunk avoids the blurry look.
Although it needs improvement, you get my idea.

I love that. Thanks for improving it! smile

Alexandre wrote:

I encourage (but do not demand) you to create the brickset following the layout convention written in this page. That way it'd be possible to generate the any number of groups automatically. You may also choose to not follow that convention, if you prefer that way. In the end, all that matters for us is a good final work.

I don't really understand the meeting log. Do you mean the Rapid Brickset Editor or the brickset template?

#73 2011-05-22 01:47:39

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

SurgeChris wrote:

I don't really understand the meeting log. Do you mean the Rapid Brickset Editor or the brickset template?

It's what KZR has said above.

From http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/ind … 2011-05-04 ,

Sunshine Paradise Brickset
* We'll make a grid-compatible brickset
* Every brick is 16x16, and we'll group them in 64x64 structures
* Following this convention, we can use the Rapid Brickset Editor to generate the .brk and the .grp scripts for us

#74 2011-05-22 05:18:01

SurgeChris

Oh, so THAT'S what KZR meant. I'll try using the Rapid Brickset Editor then. smile

#75 2011-05-26 19:39:49

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

any news on the project, guys? any difficulties?

Board footer