#26 2020-02-01 01:13:38

Darkcreator83

Re: Sonic the hedgehog adventure Version Final

Hello alexandre the house redesigned wink greetings

s340.png

#27 2020-02-02 04:21:16

Darkcreator83

hello guys, new video play game, redesigned backgrounds and added new element spring jump, greetings cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj8BvM7 … e=youtu.be

#28 2020-02-05 21:02:10

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

You still mix different pixel art styles, but the background is much better than the previous one. It gives the level a totally different feeling. It's more colorful and more in tune with the music. Act 3 music is a bit dissonant with the other two.

The new jump gimmick is a nice touch. Keep up the good work.

#29 2020-02-05 22:06:22

Darkcreator83

Alexandre wrote:

You still mix different pixel art styles, but the background is much better than the previous one. It gives the level a totally different feeling. It's more colorful and more in tune with the music. Act 3 music is a bit dissonant with the other two.

The new jump gimmick is a nice touch. Keep up the good work.

hello alexandre, I'm going to look at a song that fits more with level 3, I'm not convinced of the one that exists, the background is really used by games of genesis, the trees are from the sonic 2, the mountains of dragon ball z, the clouds They are from the same game, it is more balanced and they fit perfectly, and at the next levels, I will not edited anything, because they no longer have defects, so, the day of the launch is approaching. big_smile

Greetings.

#30 2020-02-06 22:38:50

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Darkcreator83 wrote:

the day of the launch is approaching. big_smile

Cool!!! cool

#31 2020-02-09 04:47:56

Darkcreator83

hello guys ¡¡¡¡ hello alexandre new video Neo Ice cap zone act 1 2 3 new improvements, I have added act 2 and 3, to the bottom of the Arctic Ocean, fish and a submarine! XD big_smile

Enjoy the new oceanic look of ice cap smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFfNViz … e=youtu.be

greetings¡¡¡

#32 2020-02-09 15:44:50

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Very cool.

There are some big magenta artifacts in the background of act 1 you might want to take a look at.

The underwater sections of acts 2 and 3 are pretty cool. The aquatic creatures surely give them a nice touch. Loops and tubes seem to be working very nicely on the level as well.

#33 2020-02-09 19:22:07

Darkcreator83

Alexandre wrote:

Very cool.

There are some big magenta artifacts in the background of act 1 you might want to take a look at.

The underwater sections of acts 2 and 3 are pretty cool. The aquatic creatures surely give them a nice touch. Loops and tubes seem to be working very nicely on the level as well.

hello alexandre, yes, I already realized, that there were magenta dots and I eliminated them, I am glad that you liked the seabed, it gives a more beautiful and full touch, before it was empty and it was very bland, now it is more elegant and the submarine is of the game A scuadron of super nes.;)
I will continue adding small things, play levels 1 2 3 and there were corrupt and poorly constructed sections now it is fixed, there is a before and after of my way of creating levels, that if the city scape and metal harbor levels do not touch them since It is perfect and the twinkle park and the castle of equal pleasure, it is fine as they are, every day there is little to launch the game. smile

greetings¡¡¡

#34 2020-02-12 21:05:25

Darkcreator83

Hello guys, new video flying battery zone act 1 2 an flying carrier act 3 playgame , added new object of the elevation wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT-kcWv … e=youtu.be

Greetings ¡¡¡¡¡ cool

#35 2020-02-13 21:41:03

Darkcreator83

hello guys play game  the level city scape act 1 2 and 3  available video ¡¡¡¡¡ cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut2RrmK … e=youtu.be

Greetings wink

#36 2020-02-14 02:27:55

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

I remember watching your Flying Battery video back in 2016 or so and finding it cool. This one is cooler, with more loops, more speed and new gimmicks.

That's how it should be, rhythm and pacing!

My criticism is that in some of your videos you tend to hold back a lot. Next time give yourself permission to run carefree cool It's more enjoyable this way.

Very well done, good job with the parallax scrolling of city escape (especially act 2).

#37 2020-02-14 19:48:52

Darkcreator83

thanks alexandre, I love the levels so much that sometimes I go slowly so that you can see the details better of the levels, it is not the typical sonic level, apart I try to be able to enjoy visually, to give another kind of feeling of putting the player in that world of 2d and lose you for the levels, that I try to do in my levels. wink greetings cool

#38 2020-02-20 22:47:47

Darkcreator83

Hello guys smile new video play game metal harbour act 1 and 2 cool greetings¡¡¡¡

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JyYfy1 … zxw03c010c

#39 2020-02-21 02:36:40

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

The background has been improved quite a lot! Beautiful to see.

The curves and loops played very nicely, surpassed my expectations (look at 4:35). Just wish there were more of them.

You even mixed some '2.5D'.

Keep up the good work!

#40 2020-02-23 23:58:46

Darkcreator83

Thanks alexandre, he he  new video play game ¡¡¡¡¡¡   the level twinkle park act 1 ,I have modified parts of the level, adding new things and especially the 8-loop roller coaster, it will give you the sensation of tremendous speed cool,  the pleasure castle 2 has not been modified, the pleasure castle 3 has been modified with new blocks and redesign of 0 of The whole level. big_smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T37Z0xl … e=youtu.be

greetings¡¡¡¡¡ wink

Last edited by Darkcreator83 (2020-02-23 23:59:05)

#41 2020-02-24 02:20:50

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Nice work,

Around 5:11, you can see that the player doesn't have enough momentum to get through and stays locked at the bottom, so you might want to review that part of the design.

#42 2020-02-24 16:20:48

Darkcreator83

Alexandre wrote:

Nice work,

Around 5:11, you can see that the player doesn't have enough momentum to get through and stays locked at the bottom, so you might want to review that part of the design.

Hello alexandre , If I already corrected it, it's fixed I added a sprint, what do you think about the coaster loopings? I think I remember that someone suggested it, because I did it, it's my own design smile greetings big_smile

#43 2020-02-26 02:15:56

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

I would appreciate them more if they were vibrant and colorful (like Speed Slider from Knuckles Chaotix) rather than black.

#44 2020-07-24 22:50:07

Darkcreator83

Hello guys, first post, link the game,  greetings ¡¡¡¡¡¡;)

#45 2020-07-25 13:27:04

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Congratulations on getting your game done!!!

I'm currently downloading it. Do you already know where you are going to publish it?

#46 2020-07-25 15:26:28

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

I'm still playing it, and I'm having fun. You surely have put a lot of effort into this project.

I want to tell you that I was able to get your game running in the new engine with a few tweaks. It's playing super smoothly, it's fun, and I'm getting the new physics and the widescreen graphics for free. It plays nicer than with the old engine.

I got it working for you, but you as the developer can do further tweaking (you know best what these tweaks are, you'd need to play it through to see).

What do you think about getting it in the new engine?

Your work is appreciated!

s006.png
s022.png
s026.png
s028.png
s030.png
s027.png
s032.png

#47 2020-07-25 19:00:27

Darkcreator83

Alexandre wrote:

I'm still playing it, and I'm having fun. You surely have put a lot of effort into this project.

I want to tell you that I was able to get your game running in the new engine with a few tweaks. It's playing super smoothly, it's fun, and I'm getting the new physics and the widescreen graphics for free. It plays nicer than with the old engine.

I got it working for you, but you as the developer can do further tweaking (you know best what these tweaks are, you'd need to play it through to see).

What do you think about getting it in the new engine?

Your work is appreciated!

s006.png
s022.png
s026.png
s028.png
s030.png
s027.png
s032.png

WOW¡¡¡¡ thanks alexandre, I was hoping you would do that, so people can play it on mobile, hahahaha. I don't know how to do it, I'm glad you liked it, that was my intention, to make it fun and enjoyable to play, how important it is not boring, hehe, regards.

#48 2020-07-26 00:45:33

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

I got your game running on the new engine, but there are adjustments to make. The new engine works differently, and as such, there are things in your game that would be better if you would polish them.

The port is not complete, I'm not porting it entirely. However I can offer you this build where you can continue the work if you desire to do so, and in addition give some guidance. Think of it as a first step.

Porting the game will add to your development time, so would you take this work?

This can easily bring fun to many people - there is plenty of content already - and it can be made so much better with just a bit more polishing! If you accept to continue the work it will be great for everyone cool

#49 2020-07-27 04:00:27

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Download link to a first port of your game, using the latest bleeding edge:

https://mega.nz/file/5mh3XAJT#FtNBGs5fE … uRxpsJzbKA <- new engine

First and foremost, I think you must give yourself credit. Where's your name in the game? Where's your name in Credits.txt?

Your game has plenty of time of gameplay. I've played it in the new engine and enjoyed it. In this post I give suggestions on how to port it, but first I want to say to you congratulations on getting so much done.

You'll be able to play nicely in the new engine, although you'll find some quirks in the collisions and some sprites have been replaced by Open Surge's open source sprites. The new engine asks you to do brick collisions differently. It's much simpler now; you work with big solid bricks instead of little triangles. Angles are detected automatically and you can setup collision masks.

You've been using an engine version of years ago, and a lot has changed. If you're interested in continuing the port, here's guidance: (there are general tips for everyone using the engine, also)

These are just suggestions; you as the developer decide what is best for your project.

- Play your game from beginning to end, and you'll see what the quirks are.
- Play with the collision masks tuned ON. Press M in the editor (Masks) and return to gameplay. You'll easily see what needs adjusting.
- Are you aware of MARKER bricks? They are invisible bricks that help you do fine tweaking on your collision map. Take a look at brick 255 of Sunshine Paradise. Read more at Wiki: Bricksets.
- You'll be able to fix many collision bugs by creating new collision masks.

Fixing loops

In the old days, you'd have lots of tiny triangles making up your loop. You used groups of bricks to simplify the design, that was smart. In the new engine, it's preferred to do loops with simple solid bricks. Loops should be filled. Don't use the small triangles with holes in-between. Because angles are auto-detected now, masks that are too thin, small or with holes may cause the player to stop in the middle of your loop.

full of holes: (undesirable)
s054.png

filled loops: (better)
s055.png

You may remedy your loops with marker bricks (pay attention to place them in the correct layers!) Use the 8x8 grid by pressing G in the editor. You may be able to get it done in a day or two, but you'll need to test it.

If time and patience permits, you may redesign your loops. They are much simpler to build now. You have the pieces done already, but currently they are all passable.

Take a look how loops are done in Open Surge now.

Fixing slopes

Big solid bricks. Easy to solve. You have it done already for the most part, just update your bricks from PASSABLE to SOLID or CLOUD.

s088.png

s087.png

Using thick & smooth collision masks

Avoid thin / irregular shaped masks. The current spikes are buggy; consider using Open Surge's instead? The water slides in Hidrocity don't work properly near the edges, the collision mask is too thin.

s045.png

Those breakable ice blocks are a big no-no for the new engine: their collision mask must be solid.

s073.png

A square collision mask is better than a ball of this size.

s049.png

Same here: you may drop the holes and make it all solid (balls included)
s058.png

Level Metal Harbor is specially buggy. Display the collision masks and you'll quickly see why: too irregular shaped; make them solid blocks (as in Open Surge). Quickly solvable with a mask image.

s060.png

Fixing images

The latest bleeding edge (20.726-dev) can load images up to 4096x4096 in size. Currently, some levels won't load. You may reorganize your art in the following files and update your brick/background scripts accordingly:

./images/pleasure/b5.png
7838x480

./images/scene1.png
4480x480

./images/levels/5/Brickset_1.png
4173x901

./images/levels/9/Lava.png
483x4800

./images/levels/6/Loop.png
4187x4274

./images/castle2/a3.png
6893x480

./images/castle2/b4.png
5214x480
Fixing sprites

End sign, opening animation, life icon... You may adjust things to widescreen graphics. Take a look at your logfile.txt to figure out the sprite conflicts.

s092.png

Springs

The physics has changed, and so the springs don't have quite the same strength... This is usually not a problem, but sometimes the player gets locked because some springs are not strong enough. Neo Green Hill 1, Hill Mountain 1 are examples. You need to replay your game to see.

Layers

This is not a port issue, but a bug in your original game. A stack of 3 Ls is too short: the player may jump over them and fall into an abyss. Make sure the player is in the layer you want. I use stacks of at least 4 Ls, if the player won't fly. This applies for loops, too.

s069.png

Misc

- porting the baddies to SurgeScript will give you better collisions
- some levels seem to continue after the end sign; there may be bricks far away (the camera locks at the limits)
- there are new objects that make the player roll inside the tubes, Tube In/Out. They are used extensively in Open Surge
- hillrock3.lev: missing music subboss.ogg
- when Tails carries the characters, it's buggy, you may adjust the hot spots
- the graphics of the zipline are glitchy, and that's because Open Surge includes a new zipline. You may restore the sprites of the old zipline, with a new name perhaps

You just need to play your game and see the quirks. But now you have a working game already; doing the adjusting is up to you.

s065.png

s089.png

#50 2020-12-30 17:01:07

Sur6e&Ryan!01

Oh gosh! 15 levels, that's a lot for a MEGA.nz download. I don't know if I can complete the download. How much space does it take exactly?

By the way, what happens if the game tries to load a level with objects more than 4096x4096 in size? Does it crash the game or something?

EDIT (Hours later): I can't play the game! It CRASHES immediately every time I try to load it with a so-called fatal error saying that it can't start just because overlays are not supported in graphic mode 1280x960. Can you fix it? sad

Last edited by Sur6e&Ryan!01 (2020-12-30 19:23:02)

Board footer