Open Surge Forum

A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2020-04-12 15:38:27

CrazyPencilDawg

Sonic Mania 2 1.00g!

After having been in development hell for way too long, I'm proud to announce my newest MOD, Sonic Mania 2! big_smile

Download Link:
https://mega.nz/file/I4lnzQ4K#pW2c6jY4w … JuBitel2rs

Characters: Surge, Neon, Charge, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Speedy, Jazz Jackrabbit, Stick, Somari, and lastly, GRAND DAD?! FLEENSTONES?!? AWW...

Silliness aside, I hope you like it!

Last edited by CrazyPencilDawg (2023-04-23 00:56:50)

Touhou fan who is currently working on a game about a blue cartoon rat and a game about mildly-infuriated plastic balls.

#2 2020-04-12 19:53:54

SnickDev

Re: Sonic Mania 2 1.00g!

Hi,
i am just donwloaded game this day.
Im want to test this!!

#3 2020-04-12 20:07:04

CrazyPencilDawg

SnickDev wrote:

Hi,
i am just donwloaded game this day.
Im want to test this!!

Thank you!

Touhou fan who is currently working on a game about a blue cartoon rat and a game about mildly-infuriated plastic balls.

#4 2020-04-12 21:16:39

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

I have yet to test it, but you're using a development version of the engine back from 2018! We didn't even use Allegro 5 yet, and many features are missing. Upgrade to the latest stable version, 0.5.1.2. It's a rock-solid release for making games, and it's from February 2020.

#5 2020-04-13 15:15:16

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

I think the game needs better level design. The following document discusses many design principles - it's our Level Design Documment. I recommend it to everyone making games:

Level Design Document

TLDR: there is a lot of content to play, but it would be much better if you could polish the game. Usage of the latest stable release of the engine, polished art done with care and principled level design are keys for improvement.

Review:

• The game has many levels (you can play for some time), yet in campaign mode I can't access them. We start only with 1 life for some reason, and this makes it too difficult.

• The level design includes many cheap traps, which make gameplay difficult. Please check out our Level Design Document.

• Think about what experience you want to give to the player. Even if some things are supposed to be funny, such as Sticky (I think?), they can be created with care. It's possible to be funny and deliver polished art, and a polished experience.

• The art needs improvement. Some levels have much better graphics than others. Good aesthetics is part of good level design, too.

• There is a level called Mushroom Kingdom, and yet there are no mushrooms in it.

• I think Jazz could shoot some bullets, no? That would be a hell lot of fun!

• There is a special stage with custom programming. That's a nice idea! The character gets stuck sometimes. Those spikes are cheap: they should make you lose at most 10 rings, never all of them, because if you hit them you have no chance of advancing.

• Speed Slider act 1 and Diamond Groove are your best levels imo. Speed Slider act 2 has too many teleports that break the momentum (see the level design doc). A dark/night background would suit the level better (better contrast). It uses GER's brickset. DroidDash is nice too, but it's missing the art. Endless Mine has nice team play, but little momentum.

• The Big Robot Boss takes waaaay too long to die. The missile robot is difficult. The Big Wolf appears way too many times throughout the game. How about adding some variety?

• Speedy jumps way too high. Why not add his spindash?

• Why have all those playable characters spawned in a level if you never need them? It's better if things have a purpose behind them.

• 650+ MB is a lot. Most of it is music.

I played it and gave you a long review. On the flip side, you have completed a project, so kudos to you! Our skills improve with each project we make, so keep creating games! cool

#6 2020-04-13 15:56:39

CrazyPencilDawg

Alexandre wrote:

I think the game needs better level design. The following document discusses many design principles - it's our Level Design Documment. I recommend it to everyone making games:

Level Design Document

TLDR: there is a lot of content to play, but it would be much better if you could polish the game. Usage of the latest stable release of the engine, polished art done with care and principled level design are keys for improvement.

Review:

• The game has many levels (you can play for some time), yet in campaign mode I can't access them. We start only with 1 life for some reason, and this makes it too difficult.

• The level design includes many cheap traps, which make gameplay difficult. Please check out our Level Design Document.

• Think about what experience you want to give to the player. Even if some things are supposed to be funny, such as Sticky (I think?), they can be created with care. It's possible to be funny and deliver polished art, and a polished experience.

• The art needs improvement. Some levels have much better graphics than others. Good aesthetics is part of good level design, too.

• There is a level called Mushroom Kingdom, and yet there are no mushrooms in it.

• There is a special stage with custom programming. That's a nice idea! The character gets stuck sometimes. Those spikes are cheap: they should make you lose at most 10 rings, never all of them, because if you hit them you have no chance of advancing.

• Speed Slider act 1 and Diamond Groove are your best levels imo. Speed Slider act 2 has too many teleports that break the momentum (see the level design doc). A dark/night background would suit the level better (better contrast). It uses GER's brickset. DroidDash is nice too, but it's missing the art. Endless Mine has nice team play, but little momentum.

• The Big Robot Boss takes waaaay too long to die. The missile robot is difficult. The Big Wolf appears way too many times throughout the game. How about adding some variety?

• Why have all those playable characters spawned in a level if you never need them? It's better if things have a purpose behind them.

I played it and gave you a long review. On the flip side, you have completed a project, so kudos to you! Our skills improve with each project we make, so keep creating games! cool

Thank you! I am currently developing version 1.01g!

#7 2020-04-14 01:41:00

CrazyPencilDawg

Alexandre wrote:

I have yet to test it, but you're using a development version of the engine back from 2018! We didn't even use Allegro 5 yet, and many features are missing. Upgrade to the latest stable version, 0.5.1.2. It's a rock-solid release for making games, and it's from February 2020.

For my computer, version 0.5.1.2 is HORRIBLY laggy. sad

#8 2020-04-14 12:25:45

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

CrazyPencilDawg wrote:

For my computer, version 0.5.1.2 is HORRIBLY laggy.

hmmmmmm, you're the first user who reports lag on the 0.5.x series. It's highly optimized. Since when did this lag start? Is it laggy on your game or on the official release? Is it laggy all the time or only during some moments? What are the specs of your computer and of your video card? Did you try it in a different computer?

#9 2020-04-15 21:18:29

CrazyPencilDawg

Alexandre wrote:

Level Design Document

Review:

What operating system does your computer run??

#10 2020-05-03 06:05:31

CrazyPencilDawg

Alexandre wrote:

Where can I get version 18.826-dev?

#11 2021-05-01 20:34:58

CrazyPencilDawg

Alexandre wrote:

There is a level called Mushroom Kingdom, and yet there are no mushrooms in it.

It's called Mushroom Kingdom because it is based off of Super Mario.

#12 2021-05-03 02:51:42

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Your game is on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/rM12dD7p0n4

Board footer