Open Surge Forum

A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2019-10-13 14:54:04

SynfigMaster91

Speedy The Rollerskater - Demo!

Finally, after too many days of work, effort, losing mind and stuff...

The first official demo of Speedy The Rollerskater is here!! big_smile

Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EQZ8g … 6fI-SVgjuA

Zones:
Seaside Beach Acts 1, 2 & 3
Lost Jungle Act 1 & 3
Forgotten Ruins Act 1
Sunken Ruins Act 1
Neon City Act 1

Full Version will include cutscenes, boss fights, more levels and enemies, etc...

Feel free to test this demo and let me know what you like of it and what should I fix just in case.

Ideas and suggestions to fix for full version are welcome.

#2 2019-10-14 20:43:15

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Re: Speedy The Rollerskater - Demo!

Hey Alvaro,

I have enjoyed playing your demo smile Your game is clearly more focused on platforming than on speed.

Gameplay time is good for this demo.

The main point to improve, in my opinion, is the graphics. They are too simple, yet you use some great stuff from OpenGameArt and Luis Zuno. Another suggestion is to improve the contrast between the backgrounds and the platforms in levels like Lost Jungle 1 and Lost Ruins. Make the background darker, so it is clearly different than the platforms.

I enjoyed the fact that you used simple color changes to simulate different times of the day (noon, afternoon). This is very apparent at the beach level. It has called my attention that Speedy can skate on all sorts of terrain, such as sand and underwater rocks. I understand this is intentional.

Regarding level design, some platforming sections are challenging, specially when there are pendular platforms. There are some bottomless pits that come without warning. Whenever there's a pit, it's a good idea to stop the momentum of the player (with a ramp, for example), so he can become aware of the pit. It's also a good idea to put checkpoints near the pits, but I think you've done this. smile Tips for level design

I think this is the first released demo made with Open Surge 0.5.0 and it's a sweet homebrew.

Have you considered submitting your game to sites such as itch.io?

By the way, thanks for the ads! cool

s001.png

PS: since your surge.prefs is shipped with the demo, and the options screen is hidden, the user can only change the size of the window if he knows how to access the debug mode.

#3 2019-10-15 13:29:51

SynfigMaster91

Alexandre wrote:

Hey Alvaro,

I have enjoyed playing your demo smile Your game is clearly more focused on platforming than on speed.

Gameplay time is good for this demo.

The main point to improve, in my opinion, is the graphics. They are too simple, yet you use some great stuff from OpenGameArt and Luis Zuno. Another suggestion is to improve the contrast between the backgrounds and the platforms in levels like Lost Jungle 1 and Lost Ruins. Make the background darker, so it is clearly different than the platforms.

I enjoyed the fact that you used simple color changes to simulate different times of the day (noon, afternoon). This is very apparent at the beach level. It has called my attention that Speedy can skate on all sorts of terrain, such as sand and underwater rocks. I understand this is intentional.

Regarding level design, some platforming sections are challenging, specially when there are pendular platforms. There are some bottomless pits that come without warning. Whenever there's a pit, it's a good idea to stop the momentum of the player (with a ramp, for example), so he can become aware of the pit. It's also a good idea to put checkpoints near the pits, but I think you've done this. smile Tips for level design

I think this is the first released demo made with Open Surge 0.5.0 and it's a sweet homebrew.

Have you considered submitting your game to sites such as itch.io?

By the way, thanks for the ads! cool

s001.png

PS: since your surge.prefs is shipped with the demo, and the options screen is hidden, the user can only change the size of the window if he knows how to access the debug mode.

Thanks, alex! I'm glad you like the demo ^^

Yeah, I need to make better graphics even though I use stuff from OpenGameArt but how can I make good graphics? I use GIMP, but what else I can need for better graphics for the final version?

Also I will need music composer for original tracks for the game.

Once again, thanks for your suggestions and testing my demo ^^

#4 2019-10-15 17:22:41

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Learn pixel art. I use GIMP myself.

You're welcome smile

Board footer