Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2019-03-12 14:09:18

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Allegro 5 IS HERE!!!

It's official!!!

After the physics update and the SurgeScript integration, Open Surge 0.5.0 has reached its 3rd big milestone: big_smile

Allegro 5!!!

s003.png

I'm very glad to announce the first Allegro 5 build of Open Surge. This new backend opens many new possibilities, including: hardware accelerated graphics, the introduction of shaders, the possibility of mobile gameplay. cool

Open Surge can now have many modern features! big_smile

Current limitations include:

• No smooth graphics option (there's no replacement for now, but I'm looking into it)

• No fullscreen mode (to be added soon)

• No joystick support (to be added soon)

Please note that the Allegro 5 build is still in beta, so please help me test it. If you have any working MODs (using 0.5.0), test it there as well. If you find any bugs or issues, let me know.

I have also provided an Allegro 4 build of the same version for testing.

Download
From now on, I'll be posting the release notes of the development builds on that thread.

#2 2019-03-14 21:28:28

svgmovement

Re: Allegro 5 IS HERE!!!

Exciting! smile

-- svgmovement

#3 2019-03-15 10:57:45

G.E.R.

After a long pause, I want to study Surge Script. Can you tell me where to start? I understand that syntax SS is similar to syntax C#

#4 2019-03-15 13:15:21

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

svgmovement wrote:

Exciting! smile

Indeed! big_smile

G.E.R. wrote:

After a long pause, I want to study Surge Script. Can you tell me where to start? I understand that syntax SS is similar to syntax C#

Yes, the place to start is docs.opensurge2d.org (mirror link). For practical examples, watch the video tutorials.

#5 2019-04-01 12:32:17

TheSeventhEmerald

These are indeed great news! I hope the 0.5 will become stable very soon! big_smile:D

What are you currently working on?

Piece of cake...!

#6 2019-04-01 13:32:06

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

TheSeventhEmerald wrote:

These are indeed great news! I hope the 0.5 will become stable very soon! big_smile:D

What are you currently working on?

Yes, a release is indeed within sight big_smile

From the engine standpoint, I want to do a little bit more of polishing. Regarding the game, I'm looking for a base brickset (an atlas of generic level parts) and then I'd like to work on Waterworks. I'd like a level design similar to Chemical Plant (S2) for Waterworks (full of speed), but using our own theme. It's gonna be awesome! Our engine is very capable already.

#7 2019-04-01 13:38:35

TheSeventhEmerald

I'm really looking forward to see it! In particular, I'm willing to see the new content and also tools for modding. As you've just said, the engine is working super-nice!

Do we have music for Waterworks? I would like to work on that!!
Also that reminds me that I have to upload the "loopable" version of Crystal Temple, I totally forgot sad

Piece of cake...!

#8 2019-04-01 13:45:14

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

TheSeventhEmerald wrote:

Do we have music for Waterworks? I would like to work on that!!

Cool! The music for Waterworks should have a lot of stamina, for a fun & high speed level! We had a part of the music by Di Rodrigues (musics/waterworks.ogg), but unfortunately it was never finished.

Board footer