G.E.R.

Re: Editor palette (new!)

Thank you! This is very necessary!

#3 2018-09-19 09:03:22

KZR
Website

this is absolutely awesome! I got a couple questions though:

Will there be a "rotate brick" function too, besides flipping?
can the game reload all changed images on level reload? I ask this because working on bricksets doesn't quite flow, as you have to stop to run the game, take note of what needs to be changed and go back to the drawing board.

also, editor background toggle please. it was such an easy hack back in 760 to just display it. And it really helps to get a good notion of what the background shows at certain level positions, allowing us to use this in level design.

Also a toggle switch to show/hide level collision would help loads with debugging

Last edited by KZR (2018-09-19 09:12:52)

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

#4 2018-09-19 15:10:44

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

G.E.R. wrote:

Thank you! This is very necessary!

I'm glad it adds value smile

KZR wrote:

Will there be a "rotate brick" function too, besides flipping?

Not planned. Flipping gives you a 180º rotation. With another brick, you'll have multiples of 90º. SurgeScript entities support rotations.

KZR wrote:

can the game reload all changed images on level reload? I ask this because working on bricksets doesn't quite flow, as you have to stop to run the game, take note of what needs to be changed and go back to the drawing board.

Do you mean that you change the brickset image and would like it reloaded during the level editing? We can arrange that. What's your use case?

KZR wrote:

also, editor background toggle please. it was such an easy hack back in 760 to just display it. And it really helps to get a good notion of what the background shows at certain level positions, allowing us to use this in level design.

Also a toggle switch to show/hide level collision would help loads with debugging

Noted.

#5 2018-09-19 23:18:37

KZR
Website

Alexandre wrote:

Do you mean that you change the brickset image and would like it reloaded during the level editing? We can arrange that. What's your use case?

exactly. changes made to any images are only available after rebooting the game. Apparently reloading the level only reloads the level script. maybe we could have both a soft and hard reload, so that a full asset reload is not forced unless specified. Or maybe a smart system that detects recently changed files and reloads them seamlessly, like Tiled does, for example.

#6 2018-09-30 15:44:30

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

The new update is available for download. It features the Editor palette, as well as some of the suggestions placed here.

KZR wrote:

I ask this because working on bricksets doesn't quite flow, as you have to stop to run the game, take note of what needs to be changed and go back to the drawing board.

You'll need to reload the level.

#7 2018-09-30 22:12:23

KZR
Website

Alexandre wrote:

The new update is available for download.

there's no executable in it

#8 2018-10-01 01:18:55

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Try again.

#9 2018-10-01 05:50:50

Race the Hedgehog
Website

very useful! going through a big number of bricks can be tiring and that's a very smart solution!
maybe I'm missing something here, but I can't see a way to access the group category?
is this an intentional change? groups were very useful and downright essencial to the creation of my ghz brickset, take the plants here for example, they are suposed to be animated and a totally separated brick from the other ones, with the group tool, they would already come organized so you don't have to place it there everytime.
s000.png

PunBB bbcode test
Creating and Editing Sprites.

#10 2018-10-01 13:08:53

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Hey Race,

Race the Hedgehog wrote:

very useful! going through a big number of bricks can be tiring and that's a very smart solution!
maybe I'm missing something here, but I can't see a way to access the group category?
is this an intentional change? groups were very useful and downright essencial to the creation of my ghz brickset, take the plants here for example, they are suposed to be animated and a totally separated brick from the other ones, with the group tool, they would already come organized so you don't have to place it there everytime.

The palette is available for bricks and SurgeScript entities.

Given the new capabilities of the physics engine, bricks are much more powerful than they were before, so you can design them with much more flexibility.

Groups are becoming deprecated, as you can do more things with a single brick. I had thought about removing them completely, but I haven't done it.

I've seen that you can't access the group category the same way you did before. Is that what you're talking about?

#11 2018-10-05 21:01:39

Race the Hedgehog
Website

Alexandre wrote:

Groups are becoming deprecated, as you can do more things with a single brick. I had thought about removing them completely, but I haven't done it.

I totally disagree, groups were essential in setting up my brickset and is causing a major limitation not being able to use it.
To see what I'm saying, try building a level with this new version of my brickset, both on the build 830 and the latest one.
You can see that bricks are separated into three categories:

• MAIN, which indicates the level main collision (mostly with the cloud behavior) and the art necessary for it.

• OVERLAYS, which are the ones with a zindex above the player, such as trees and plants, but it also serve to indicate some of the solid collision.

• ANIMATED, which are the plants and flowers that are scattered throughout the level that have more than one frame of animation.

With the groups, I was able to put each of these pieces together in their place, so whoever is going to design a level will not have to break their heads trying to know where piece goes where, only worrying about placing the established groups instead.
If I was to make the animated flowers to be part of the MAIN ones, it would mean that I would have to set FOUR TIMES MORE sprites than the current.
Removing the groups seems like a extremely unnecessary downgrade to me, making an easy task such as recreating a level much more complicated.

Alexandre wrote:

I've seen that you can't access the group category the same way you did before. Is that what you're talking about?

Yeah, I can't access the category at all for now.

Last edited by Race the Hedgehog (2018-10-05 21:01:59)

PunBB bbcode test
Creating and Editing Sprites.

#12 2018-10-06 01:14:58

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Alright. The groups were still there, but there was a bug, so you couldn't access them. It's fixed on 18.1005-dev.

#13 2018-10-11 16:20:11

G.E.R.

I found some bugs on last version of engine. I ask you to fixed this bugs, because they very complicate the work.
1. When I saved and reload level, it loaded on spawn point and set brick 0. In previous version level don't dumped a focus point and keeped last element (brick, item, object) in active.

2. The coordinates text overlaps the items
illust_2_111018.png

3. The status_bar is placed on editor area and overlaps a top part of level map.
illust_3_111018.png

4. Delete button doesn't work

5. When I delete one brick, all bricks at this point  are removed (not only top brick) and some neighboring bricks are removed also.

#14 2018-10-12 12:38:39

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Hey G.E.R., I have indeed changed a few things. There were some specific changes to the editor, and more changes are about to come. Press F1 to see the updated commands.

Considering the left hand around the WASD keys and the right hand on the mouse, I want to minimize the amount of arm movements and retain good mnemonics for the hotkeys.

Do you use qwerty or dvorak?

#15 2018-10-13 19:38:16

G.E.R.

I use QWERTY/ЙЦУКЕН keyboard (three layouts), but the above bugs need to fix (at least #1 and #5).

1. When I saved and reload level, it loaded on spawn point and set brick 0. In previous version level don't dumped a focus point and keeped last element (brick, item, object) in active.
<...>
5. When I delete one brick, all bricks at this point  are removed (not only top brick) and some neighboring bricks are removed also.

#16 2018-10-13 21:33:38

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

These already had been changed in the code and will be available in the next build. The eraser has been combined into a single button: right click to erase a single object, hold to get a full-blown eraser. No more delete key.

#17 2018-10-21 15:04:29

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Version 18.1021-dev includes new hotkeys and improvements to the input system of the level editor. Just released!

#18 2018-10-23 13:03:19

G.E.R.

There are a small bug in the editor pallete: the mouse scrolling rotates the brick list in the opposite direction.
Also I propose consider some suggestions: setting transperent of brick in brickset file, and introduce reloading of all resources (sprites, objects, images) during level editing, without need to close and reopen the game.

#19 2018-10-25 11:38:19

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Have you been using the command line?

#20 2018-10-26 05:53:26

G.E.R.

What command line do you mean?

#21 2018-10-26 12:01:03

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

When editing scripts and other configuration files, how do you open a level?

#22 2018-10-26 12:33:49

G.E.R.

I reopen opensurge.exe file

#23 2018-10-26 16:50:05

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

G.E.R. wrote:

I reopen opensurge.exe file

Do you reopen directly on the level, or do you reopen the executable, go to the stage select and then reopen the level?

#24 2018-10-27 14:17:25

G.E.R.

After modification of a script or sprite file, I closing the exe-file and open opensurge.exe again. If I will reopening only a level (without reloading the game), the script will not update. My suggestion: to introduce the ability to reload all scripts and sprites on command.

#25 2018-10-27 21:56:33

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

G.E.R. wrote:

After modification of a script or sprite file, I closing the exe-file and open opensurge.exe again.

I wonder if anyone does the same?

No, users are supposed to use the command-line option --level when editing their games. You use Windows, don't you? Open a command prompt, cd c:\path\to\opensurge and then type

opensurge --level levels/sunset.lev

You can create a Windows shortcut as well, if you'd like. Replace sunset.lev by your level.

This should be documented in the wiki, if it isn't already.

For more information, type opensurge --help

Board footer