Open Surge Forum

A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#26 2018-10-22 06:50:01

G.E.R.

Re: Speedy the RollerSkater (My Future Project)

>> How can I fix that?

Make this brick as obstacle and remove the bottom part of this bricks in the mask-file. I made it and this bug is fixed in this way.
illust_1_221018.png

#27 2018-10-22 12:17:46

KZR
Website

I have a constructive critique.

instead of making the character roll into a ball, like in a typical Sonic game, look at how skaters, ice skaters and inline skaters lower their center of gravity to reduce air drag and concentrate their weight in order to gain speed.

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

#28 2018-10-22 13:14:06

SynfigMaster91

G.E.R. wrote:

>> How can I fix that?

Make this brick as obstacle and remove the bottom part of this bricks in the mask-file. I made it and this bug is fixed in this way.
illust_1_221018.png

I'll try that.

#29 2018-10-22 13:15:18

SynfigMaster91

KZR wrote:

I have a constructive critique.

instead of making the character roll into a ball, like in a typical Sonic game, look at how skaters, ice skaters and inline skaters lower their center of gravity to reduce air drag and concentrate their weight in order to gain speed.

Okay then. Any image references you can show me so I can see what you're talking about?

#30 2018-10-23 20:50:12

KZR
Website

Screen-Shot-2017-09-08-at-4.52.55-PM.png

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

#31 2018-10-26 15:50:21

SynfigMaster91

KZR wrote:

Thanks for the reference. I will use that pose for when Speedy is in the ground and crouches, he charges to speed up.

Speaking of that, I need to know how to make Speedy dashing without rolling. It's like this:

1) Speedy crouches
2) Pressing Space Bar, Speedy charges up in the different sprite animation I made for him.
3) Releasing 'Down' key, depending the times you pressed Space Bar, Speedy skates at full speed.
4) Pressing Down as he skates, Speedy's skates spark electricity, to hurt enemies. This also goes as he skates normally.

#32 2018-11-03 16:26:48

SynfigMaster91

SynfigMaster91 wrote:
KZR wrote:

Thanks for the reference. I will use that pose for when Speedy is in the ground and crouches, he charges to speed up.

Speaking of that, I need to know how to make Speedy dashing without rolling. It's like this:

1) Speedy crouches
2) Pressing Space Bar, Speedy charges up in the different sprite animation I made for him.
3) Releasing 'Down' key, depending the times you pressed Space Bar, Speedy skates at full speed.
4) Pressing Down as he skates, Speedy's skates spark electricity, to hurt enemies. This also goes as he skates normally.

Umm... Isn't there anyone who can help with this skill? ^^;

#33 2019-05-27 16:10:34

SynfigMaster91

Okay. So far, I was thinking on redoing Speedy sprites, so here they are:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JLh5H … E71iEcHUen

I got myself inspired on the sprite style of Jump Superstars (JUS) and I'm glad with the results smile

Next, what I need to do is to make the character in SurgeScript. Unfortunately for me I can't find good examples of that in the demo's folders.

Some tutorials or great help or guidance would be nice to bring me to the path of learning to make playable characters in SurgeScript.

#34 2019-05-27 22:59:05

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

SynfigMaster91 wrote:

Some tutorials or great help or guidance would be nice to bring me to the path of learning to make playable characters in SurgeScript.

You don't need SurgeScript to create a playable character. You only need SurgeScript if you wish to create your own special moves. Have you tried to do one thing at a time? smile

#35 2019-05-28 11:25:53

SynfigMaster91

Alexandre wrote:
SynfigMaster91 wrote:

You don't need SurgeScript to create a playable character. You only need SurgeScript if you wish to create your own special moves. Have you tried to do one thing at a time? smile

Whoa I see. I saw object files of the playable characters but I had no idea for that.

Here are the moves from Speedy I plan to add.

1) Swimming underwater: something like Tails swimming on the classic Sonic games (Sonic 3 & Knuckles) but without getting tired.

2) Charging and dashing: when Speedy crouches, press the space bar to charge. Speedy will flash standing as you press Space bar to amount the speed of the dash. When you release it, Speedy will dash skating, instead of rolling. Something like Sonic, Super Peel out in Sonic CD.

Oh, and where should I put the scripts if they have the characters' moves?

#36 2019-05-29 13:15:40

SynfigMaster91

Seems nobody wants to help. I feel so alone here... sad

#37 2019-10-13 15:09:32

SynfigMaster91

A first demo is released! Check the MODs section to play it!

Also I will need help for the storyline. Here's what I got so far.

Story:
Speedy's home island, Nimbus Island, is a huge paradise guarded by the Mother Fairy. Mother Fairy has guarded this island during centuries with the help of her fairies and elves. The most important object that Mother Fairy uses to guard the island is the Light Stone, which provides energy and balance to the island.

Nimbus Island is not only a peaceful place, but also a holiday place for tourists: Mystical jungles and ruins to explore, a futuristic Neon City, seas with mysterious ruins, etc. Who would want to go to Nimbus Island for a vacation or live there forever?

However, one day, a strange dark vortex appeared above the island. From it, a dark figure named as Lord Storm came to steal the Light Stone and turned the fairies and elves into evil animals and creatures. Mother Fairy tried to stop him but he was too strong and knocked her out before vanishing in the vortex.

Speedy, the local islander, was coming home after surfing and relaxing in the beach, however, he noticed the strange events happening. He went to check Mother Fairy and helped her. She told him about Lord Storm and the theft of the Stone. With no one around to help, Speedy skates into action!

Zones:
Seaside Beach
???
Lost Jungle
Forgotten Ruins
???
???
Sunken Ruins
???
???
???
Neon City
???
???
and
??? (Final Stage)

If someone has ideas for stages and stuff, reply me, please. smile

#38 2020-06-03 23:17:53

CrazyPencilDawg

SynfigMaster91 wrote:

This is my idea for a game with Open Surge.

Story: ???

(Feel free to add ideas for the story)

Characters:

Speedy: The main hero of the story. He's a human boy who can skate at huge speed.
Reiji: This little boy is Speedy's best friend. He can run faster. (Note: He is my main characters on other projects I'll do in the future. He will like Mickey Mouse starring some features)
???: A female one. Suggestions are open.
???: Suggestions are open.

I would like to add images but since I'm new here and I don't know how to do it, I'll wait to upload some for the future.

I was wondering if you could make a spritesheet of Reiji?

Touhou fan who is currently working on a game about a blue cartoon rat and a game about mildly-infuriated plastic balls.

#39 2020-09-20 14:53:36

SynfigMaster91

After many days of suffering, sweat, tears and more...

A new demo of Speedy the Rollerskater has come! big_smile

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14SJD7d … sp=sharing

Inspired by:

Sonic the Hedgehgog 16 Bit and 8 Bit Games
Sonic Fangames like Sonic Frenzy Adventure and Lakefeperd Fangames.

What does this new demo have?

Features:
+Acts:
Sunny Beach Acts 1, 2 and 3 (Boss Included)
Deep Jungle Acts 1, 2 and 3 (Boss Included)
Honey Hive Act 1
Forgotten Ruins Act 1
Sunken Ruins Act 1, 2 and 3 (Boss Included)

+3 new bosses: Iceman (The main villain of the full version), Fossil Monster and Marina the Guardian of the Sunken Ruins.

+New enemies.

Full Version (Coming Soon) will include storyline, cutscenes, boss fights, more levels and enemies, etc...

Controls:

Left and Right arrows: Move Speedy
Up arrow: Looking up
Down arrow: Crouching
Space Bar: Jump
Space Bar + Down arrow: Spin Dash
Space Bar + Up arrow: Peel Out
A Key: Swimming (only when you're underwater)
Esc: Allows you to come back to the tittle screen and/or exit the game.

Music:

Seaside Beach Act 1: Sonic Eternal - Mistic Jungle (Act 1)
Seaside Beach Act 2: Sonic Frenzy Adventure 2005 Demo - Sparkling Island
Seaside Beach Act 3: Megaman Battle Network - ACDC Town (Sonic Time of Changes Hack Version)
Deep Jungle Act 1: ATP Tour Championship Tennis Unused Song (Metal Sonic Hyperdrive version)
Deep Jungle Act 2: Megaman Zero 4 - Area Zero (Sonic Time of Changes version)
Deep Jungle Act 3: Sonic Frenzy Adventure - Jungle Core Act 1 (Unknown Composer)
Honey Hive Act 1: Sonic Before the Sequel - Wood Zone (KgZ)
Forgotten Ruins Act 1: Sonic 3D Blast/Flickies Island - Rusty Ruin Act 1 (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive)
Sunken Ruins Act 1: Sonic 3D Blast/Flickies Island - Rusty Ruin Act 1 (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive)
Sunken Ruins Act 2: Sonic Before the Sequel - Invisible Realm (Falk)
Sunken Ruins Act 3: Sonic Frenzy Adventure - Hydroelectric Plant Act 1 (Unknown Composer)
Boss Fights: Sonic Frenzy Adventure - Mini Boss Battle (Sage)
Act Clear: Successful Mission - Megumi Hayashibara
Main Menu: Sonic and Friends 2 - Select (Dan V)

Credits:

Demo created by
Synfigmaster91

Engine by
Alexandre Martins

Graphics:
SynfigMaster91
Alexandre Martins
ansimuz
GrafxKid
bcsilva
kmatlockii
KnoblePersona
DidiGameB
Luis Zuno (@ansimus)
AntumDeluge (Jordan Irwin)
Georges "TRaK" Grondin
Shozuki
Hapiel
Albert Manhattan
surt
Amaweks

Wanna help in making the full version? You can contribute these ways:

-Don't ya like how some of the levels look? You can fix them at your own pace and share them with me.

-Are you a great music composer? A great original soundtrack for the game would be great.

-Ideas for zones and acts? They're welcome here!

-Wanna make my graphics better? Feel free to do so!

Warning:

This demo is NON-PROFIT, due to the use of the music used in this demo. Full version will have original music.

The tracks used in this demo are temporary until I get a composer for the levels.

Last edited by SynfigMaster91 (2021-02-18 15:05:45)

#40 2020-09-20 22:51:12

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Wow, I enjoyed your game!

Have you changed the level design? Looks cooler now.

What are those red guys in the beach level? Ice Cream balls?

In the first two levels specially, there are unforgiving bottomless pits that won't let you safely accelerate to get momentum. We discuss this in our Level Design Document (wiki). Good practices include using bottomless pits thoughtfully and sparingly and not breaking the momentum all at once.

There are bugs that arise due to the positioning of the tube objects. These objects must be placed inside the tube, otherwise the player may get locked outside the tube. See how it's done in Sunshine Paradise.

Congratulation on making the bosses work!

Honey Hive is my favorite level! What a great idea! You are forgetting some L objects here and there, so the player may fall in an abyss.

About Honey Hive: it's a good design practice to make the background darker than the main platforms, so the player won't confuse the two. See how it's done in Waterworks: there's a tone of yellow used in the backgrounds, and a brighter tone in the platforms. A similar line of reasoning applies to Sunken Ruins Zone 1.

The menu locks when selecting options or quit.

You've got a noticleable improvement on the graphics of Forgotten Ruins, compared to the first demo.

Finally: during gameplay, make it more visible to the player the fact that Speedy can swim. Teach the player how to swim. It's a great special ability that shouldn't pass by unnoticed.

Nice game! I enjoyed it! Some bugs here and there, but it's getting cooler. What happened to that City level available in your first demo?

#41 2020-09-21 08:49:55

SynfigMaster91

Alexandre wrote:

Wow, I enjoyed your game!

Have you changed the level design? Looks cooler now.

What are those red guys in the beach level? Ice Cream balls?

In the first two levels specially, there are unforgiving bottomless pits that won't let you safely accelerate to get momentum. We discuss this in our Level Design Document (wiki). Good practices include using bottomless pits thoughtfully and sparingly and not breaking the momentum all at once.

There are bugs that arise due to the positioning of the tube objects. These objects must be placed inside the tube, otherwise the player may get locked outside the tube. See how it's done in Sunshine Paradise.

Congratulation on making the bosses work!

Honey Hive is my favorite level! What a great idea! You are forgetting some L objects here and there, so the player may fall in an abyss.

About Honey Hive: it's a good design practice to make the background darker than the main platforms, so the player won't confuse the two. See how it's done in Waterworks: there's a tone of yellow used in the backgrounds, and a brighter tone in the platforms. A similar line of reasoning applies to Sunken Ruins Zone 1.

The menu locks when selecting options or quit.

You've got a noticleable improvement on the graphics of Forgotten Ruins, compared to the first demo.

Finally: during gameplay, make it more visible to the player the fact that Speedy can swim. Teach the player how to swim. It's a great special ability that shouldn't pass by unnoticed.

Nice game! I enjoyed it! Some bugs here and there, but it's getting cooler. What happened to that City level available in your first demo?

Yeah, I tried to make it cooler as you suggested. smile

Yes, they are. They are Iceman's henchmen.

Oh, I'll try to fix that.

Got it. I'll fix that too.

I learned from the master ^^

Can you be specific? ^^;

Oops

Yeah, good thing I worked in that ^^

Ok smile

Neon City is scrapped because it won't fit with the final order of the levels. Unless you or someone else has ideas for the zone of course. Otherwise I can add it in a sequel if my game successes.

#42 2021-02-06 14:56:20

Sur6e&Ryan!01

I just beat the game and I think I agree with Alexandre. Other than that, keep up the good work!

#43 2021-02-18 15:06:28

SynfigMaster91

I upgraded the second Demo. Make sure to read the README!!.txt file before playing wink

#44 2021-04-29 14:39:01

SynfigMaster91

New "FINAL" demo of Speedy the Rollerkskater coming up!

New Zones:
+Forgotten Ruins Act 2 and 3 (Boss Included)
+Candy Factory Act 1 and 2
+Air Ice Base Act 1 and 2

+New music

+New enemies

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yGFQr4 … sp=sharing

#45 2021-04-30 01:34:37

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

So this is the last demo before the full release.

I had a lot of fun with your demo! It has about an hour of gameplay. I'm glad to see your progress and all that you've been learning using this engine.

Now there is an in-game tutorial. Nice!! I also like the fact that you are paying tribute to jobromedia by using his music.

Here are some specific points about demo 3:

- in the 1st level, you'll find a glitch if you enter in some loops jumping. The glitch happens because of the layout of the L objects inside of those loops. You have done it right in the other levels, except in the 1st.
s001.png
- How it's done in the base game:
s320.png
- in the 1st level, the player may find a bug that will not allow him to land on the ground. He will try to climb the platforms to get that item, but he will fall off. It turns out that some bricks are stored in the yellow layer. They shouldn't be. They are clouds already. You fix it by not using the yellow layer at that point. (same glitch in demo 2)
s003.png
s002.png
- as a suggestion, you may edit the collision masks of the item boxes and make them plain, so that the player won't slip when standing top of them.
s000.png
s001.png
- both the Tube In and the Tube Out objects must be inside the tube. None must be outside, and they must come together everywhere. This is a recurring issue in the levels: sometimes the Tube Out object is outside the tube. Sometimes the objects are not together. It won't work as intended. In order to test a tube, get inside it (walking AND jumping), and also go back and forth a few times. You'll see.
s004.png
s007.png
- How it's done in the base game:
s322.png
s321.png
- I love the giant stone guy! Have you edited the sounds?
s008.png

- congratulations on making the swimming ability work with the jump button! It's much more intuitive now

- swimming is a really nice abiliity for underwater exploration, provided you have a water shield. This is a great opportunity for original level design!

- In Honey Hive 1, there's a bug that throws the player outside the platform: one brick isn't solid. It should be. I had mentioned this somewhere.
s006.png
- Candy Factory: hahaha! Have you ever thought of swimming in a pool of juice? Speedy actually does it! My suggestion: I would pick a happier background, maybe give the one you're using tones of pink.

- I can see that you're learning how to use Events to make the switches control the juice pools. Nice!

- Give me that chocolate bar!
s011.png
- why do you place the super speed powerup right before some platforming intensive areas?

- in Air Base, you have some platforms that are too sharp - not smooth enough - so Speedy may tremble when moving between some connected bricks. To fix, either connect the bricks at the same y-position and/or make smoother curves.
s012.png
- in Air Base, I found it odd that the clouds stop moving when the background changes. It doesn't make sense.

---

That's about it for my review.

I find your game to be enjoyable and entertaining. Looking forward to the full version of Speedy the Rollerskater at SAGE !!!

Board footer