Open Surge Forum

A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2018-10-10 20:00:26

MirceaKitsune

Best games using the OpenSurge engine

I know this is a pretty basic question, but since I couldn't find an answer elsewhere I figured I'd ask here. One of the reasons why I couldn't get as much into OpenSurge is that, despite the engine being quite solid and feature complete, I could not find any playable games that have enough polish and story to be interesting. There is a mod pack in my system packages which offers a variety of extra maps (I can't find that for the Git version) but this doesn't help a lot: For me at least there's no fun in going through a bunch of maps when there isn't enough structure and purpose to it. Another issue is that the default characters are themselves rather simple... including having the same abilities and moves for the most part (just running and dashing, no flying or climbing walls or teleportation or other mechanics).

I've gotten the impression that there are quite a few mod creators in the community. However there isn't any obvious resource to find every mod out there, especially finished ones with quality content. Perhaps this thread can be used to list a few? What I'm looking for is:

• Games using original assets. Anything that's freely licensed counts, just not decompiled Sonic assets or other proprietary stuff.

• Have quality assets. This doesn't mean they're super artistic, just that they look good and feel polished.

• Have enough properly structured levels (10+) with the base mechanics: Stages, items, enemies, and ideally boss battles.

• Use multiple characters with different abilities and mechanics. OpenSurge has 3 characters but only the sprites seem to differ.

• Most importantly, have dialogue and interaction. The biggest issue with existing content is that you never see characters interact or get the impression of anything going on, there's just no story to make you connect or give you a feeling of progress.

• Perhaps make use of unlockables. I find it more fun when you have to finish some stages to be able to access certain maps or unlock new characters. Usually everything's available all at once from a Stage Select menu, which I find makes it all less compelling.

What are the most complete and interesting custom games for OpenSurge so far? Also perhaps there could be an official list somewhere on the main page, so if there are any everyone can know about them more easily.

#2 2018-10-10 21:04:00

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Re: Best games using the OpenSurge engine

Open Surge is in development (engine & game).

We have been going through major changes, after a hiatus.

Given it's all very recent stuff, with a substantially improved new version of the engine being actively developed, I do not yet know of a fully featured MOD that uses this new version. There are older games, though.

Perhaps current members of the community can show everybody what they're working on, with images, videos or demos smile

And if you'd like to join and make a game, it's very easy to get started.

#3 2018-10-10 22:25:11

MirceaKitsune

Alexandre wrote:

Open Surge is in development (engine & game).

We have been going through major changes, after a hiatus.

Given it's all very recent stuff, with a substantially improved new version of the engine being actively developed, I do not yet know of a fully featured MOD that uses this new version. There are older games, though.

Perhaps current members of the community can show everybody what they're working on, with images, videos or demos smile

And if you'd like to join and make a game, it's very easy to get started.

Fair enough. I'd totally consider it in normal circumstances, but at this stage I have a pile of unfinished games and animations to work on, so sadly I couldn't consider yet another project. It would depend on how easy it is to learn the scripting system though that seems simple.

It would also be motivating if a free asset bank was set up, so people who need sprites to work with can easily find something. While it's nice for everyone to do everything from scratch, most one-person teams cannot succeed if they must do both modding and artwork. You can get stuff from OpenGameArt but that's at varying resolutions and doesn't have all the animations you need.

Will older games work with the latest engine? That thread seems to have quite a few entries so maybe there's something feature complete.

#4 2018-10-11 12:22:48

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

MirceaKitsune wrote:

Will older games work with the latest engine? That thread seems to have quite a few entries so maybe there's something feature complete.

You'll have to try.

There's a different screen resolution, but other than that it should be mostly compatible.

#5 2018-10-11 14:20:55

KZR
Website

not to brag, but my mod(s) are certainly not Sonic games or anything alike. though they are left incomplete, they were great exercises in coding, game design as a whole and creation of assets.

In fact without Open Surge, or even Open Sonic (I go way back...), I would probably never have started developing.

Last edited by KZR (2018-10-11 14:22:43)

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

Board footer