You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#26 2018-10-09 04:24:17

Race the Hedgehog
Website

Re: Character system update

unknown.png
it's been happening to me since the previous version too. strangely enough, I only managed to play it putting the executable in an old build folder of the game.

Alexandre wrote:

Version 18.1008-dev includes two new multipliers: airacceleration and airdrag. The charge sound has also got variable pitch, as has been suggested (feedback is welcome).

I ask you guys to test things out and see how well adjusted the default multipliers are.

Thank you.

The multipliers are working very well! I love tinkering with those values to find out how the physics of the game work. The charging pitch sounds great too, but I would have it that when the sound plays, the previous one stops, so they don't end up overlapping each other and becoming annoying to hear. (It works like that in sonic games)

A great addition would be to be able to change these values through objects, it would be super useful for power ups, gimmicks and level interactions (ice level and a space one with low gravity, for example). In my case it would be useful because I'm coming back with the idea of a smash brothers clone using the engine, and since I'm using wild card characters, where attacks and sprites are done internally through objects, this function would be super useful for changing the speed and parameters of each character, as they use the same chr file.

PunBB bbcode test
Creating and Editing Sprites.

#27 2018-10-09 09:17:04

G.E.R.

illust_1_091018.png
I show the error message, too. For company.

The new level editor is cool, function of pallete facilitates search of bricks. Can you realise this function for objects lists too?
illust_2_091018.png

Also, I  ask you to realise opportunity in editor mode to save a level map in PNG file.

#28 2018-10-09 14:45:01

KZR
Website

sorry if this might seem off-topic, but since we're discussing improvements to the engine and game, what do you guys think of a world map? we can do it like super mario world, or even give the player free movement a bit like zelda.

perhaps even in isometric view. sounds like a lot of work, but player/npc animations can be reduced to walking up/down in a 45 degree angle and mirror the sprites. objects can adjust their z-index depending if the player is above or below the base line. meanwhile the whole terrain can be built with the level editor

and still no success running it, even tried replacing the exe only or the exe plus critical folders

Last edited by KZR (2018-10-09 16:07:48)

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

#29 2018-10-09 19:05:22

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Regarding the nanoparser error, can you guys share your logfiles? Thank you.

Race wrote:

A great addition would be to be able to change these values through objects, it would be super useful for power ups, gimmicks and level interactions (ice level and a space one with low gravity, for example).

Perhaps in the player API (SurgeScript).

G.E.R. wrote:

The new level editor is cool, function of pallete facilitates search of bricks. Can you realise this function for objects lists too?

It's really cool, and available for SurgeScript objects as well.

G.E.R. wrote:

Also, I  ask you to realise opportunity in editor mode to save a level map in PNG file.

Okay.

KZR wrote:

sorry if this might seem off-topic, but since we're discussing improvements to the engine and game, what do you guys think of a world map? we can do it like super mario world, or even give the player free movement a bit like zelda.

I think it wouldn't add much, given the linear gameplay. However, take a look at this Star Fox video. Notice the small dialog (story) that takes place on the planet select.

#30 2018-10-09 21:44:04

KZR
Website

level_load("levels/cutscenes/allegro.lev")
Initializing the Entity Manager...
spatialhash_brick_t_create_ex(90300, 9030)
spatialhash_item_t_create_ex(90300, 9030)
spatialhash_enemy_t_create_ex(90300, 9030)
brickset_load("themes/none.brk")
Creating collision masks...
The brickset has been loaded.
loading player 'none'...
player_create("none")
WARNING: inputmap '(null)' accepts a joystick (id: 0, plugged joysticks: 0), but the user isn't using a joystick.
player_create() ok
sound_load('e:\Desktop\Open Surge\181008\samples\allegro.ogg')
hashtable_sound_t_add(): adding 'samples/allegro.ogg'...
sound_load() ok
music_load('e:\Desktop\Open Surge\181008\')
music_load() error: can't get ogg stream
background_load('themes/none.bg')
level_load() ok
editor_init()
Loading group file ''...
nanoparser error! Couldn't open file "e:\Desktop\Open Surge\181008\" for reading.

#31 2018-10-10 01:26:41

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Interesting, there was indeed a bug. Fixed on 18.1009-dev.

#32 2018-10-10 06:34:54

G.E.R.

>> Fixed on 18.1009-dev.
Now it is fine

Thanks a lot for a background in the level editor, this makes it much easier to work with backgrounds.
But can you return a control ctrl + mouse scroll for change item/object/brickset? I accustomed to the old management as 0.2.0

#33 2018-10-10 13:33:17

KZR
Website

dl'ing

on a side note, further contributions to this and other topics will be moved to here

please join the discussion there to give me feedback on the assets

Last edited by KZR (2018-10-10 13:35:17)

Board footer