Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2018-09-23 02:27:27

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Game Story updates

Game Story updates

I am announcing changes to the Game Story. The idea is to make this game unique in terms of story, while at the same time to promote FOSS.

It's no longer gonna be a story in which Surge fights an evil guy who wants to take over the world (that's boring). Rather, Surge will fight to bring about software freedom (FOSS).

I do not want to attack proprietary software, but software freedom is part of what this project is all about. I do not plan to change Surge, Neon or Charge, only to extend them and to change the plot, reflecting what this project is becoming.

The way I see it, Open Surge will be played by many. It's a wonderful opportunity to introduce the people to the FOSS philosophy.

The plot is supposed to be simple, yet it conveys the free software philosophy in a playful manner smile

It's currently incomplete, but it gives a general idea of things (a vision).

In the beginning of the game...

Surge dreams with Tux the Penguin (a guide).

Surge...! Surge...! Can you hear me?

My name is Tux the Penguin. I came to ask your help...

You and I are part of a world of software freedom. Even though freedom is our birthright, the people of this world have become disempowered. Unfair limitations have been imposed on them...

We need to create an operating system that is based on freedom... So that millions can use, study how it works, extend it and share it to help others.

A free operating system is composed of many parts, like the kernel and many applications. Each part is endowed with a Spirit of Freedom. However, due to magic forces of darkness, the Spirits of Freedom have been kept locked and separate.

A free operating system can only come about through the merging of the Spirits of Freedom into a single One. I ask your help to find and to release the Spirits. I can't do it by myself.

To begin your journey, I have something to give you:

--- Tux gives Surge the Philosophy of Freedom ---

freedom.png
Concept art

- You have been given the Philosophy of Freedom! With this Spirit, you're now ready to embark on a journey towards software freedom!

Tux says:

Now there are 7 more Spirits of Freedom that you must find.

You'll find friends that will help you along this journey. Only you have the courage and the strength to accomplish this mission...

The Spirits of Freedom:
0. Philosophy of Freedom: with this Spirit, now you're ready to embark on a journey towards software freedom! [gnu icon] (this is given right at the beginning of the game)
1. Internet Spirit: a fox of fire that is connected to all things. It is said to transcend the limits of time and space.
2. Multimedia Spirit: grants the user the ability to watch videos, listen to music and create beautiful art (express themselves creatively)
3. Utility Spirit: grants users the ability to perform important work with their free operating system!
4. Gaming Spirit: an operating system would be nothing without awesome games to entertain its users!
5. Source Code Spirit: programming freedom gives users the ability to freely extend their operating system.
6. UI Spirit: a beautiful, well designed user interface makes the experience of using the operating system pleasant for everyone.
7. Kernel Spirit: the core of the operating system. Nothing will work without this!

In the new plot, Characters also gain specifics:
- Surge is a visionary, he can make things happen. He loves gaming, too.
- Neon is a computer programmer. He can create things that you cannot even fathom!
- Charge is a musician and a multimedia guy. His works touch everyone, but he is too critical of himself.
- (a girl) is a graphic designer. She is a sweet girl, and little animals are really fond of her. She is the embodiment of the UI Spirit.
- Tux is a guide, a character that is the embodiment of the Kernel Spirit.

The Spirits of Freedom are found throughout the game. For example; after level 1, Surge finds the Gaming Spirit.

---

In terms of gameplay, the new story won't impact much. But in terms of story uniqueness and in what we want to convey, it will.

#2 2018-09-23 08:45:33

G.E.R.

Re: Game Story updates

I think it is a bad idea. The old concepcion and game story is more interesting

#3 2018-09-23 10:09:08

KZR
Website

ok so my 2 cents:

the original story although quite simple to understand and follow, it is indeed the standard good-guy-must-stop-bad-guy story.
The upside is that even little children can understand this good-evil dichotomy, therefore we could earn at least a niche in younger hearts.
The downside is... it's a very basic story, which might discourage players with higher expectations.

the new story, I think it works really well on paper but it feels like a sort of propaganda. I say we broaden the spectrum of things, like it's not just about technology, but we could reach deeper in concepts of humanity, human values and principles that relate to the technological equivalents.

0. Philosophy of Freedom: with this Spirit, now you're ready to embark on a journey towards software freedom! [gnu icon] (this is given right at the beginning of the game)

this is good

1. Internet Spirit: a fox of fire that is connected to all things. It is said to transcend the limits of time and space.

more like the spirit of exploration, curiosity, knowledge, networking and sharing.

2. Multimedia Spirit: grants the user the ability to watch videos, listen to music and create beautiful art (express themselves creatively)

maybe the spirit of dreams and imagination, art and creativity. the 5 (6?) senses

3. Utility Spirit: grants users the ability to perform important work with their free operating system!

care and maintenance? I can't come up with a better one here

4. Gaming Spirit: an operating system would be nothing without awesome games to entertain its users!

so basically a spirit of fun and joy.

5. Source Code Spirit: programming freedom gives users the ability to freely extend their operating system.

a spirit of logic and organization, of engineering.

6. UI Spirit: a beautiful, well designed user interface makes the experience of using the operating system pleasant for everyone.

hmm for this one I see themes like accessibility, functionality, communication and information

7. Kernel Spirit: the core of the operating system. Nothing will work without this!

this one is kind of tricky. Soul spirit maybe? themes like roots and personality pop up. the kernel is indeed the soul of the OS.

I think this helps with reaching to people who are not into technology and just want some simple fun, maybe a story they can relate to.

Last edited by KZR (2018-09-23 10:10:11)

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

#4 2018-09-23 15:46:24

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

KZR wrote:

I say we broaden the spectrum of things, like it's not just about technology, but we could reach deeper in concepts of humanity, human values and principles that relate to the technological equivalents.

this is good, we can have the software freedom mascots (like Tux, etc) conveying the human values of freedom, truth, beauty, justice, and so on.

I'd like to have Surge on the same standard as Tux and the other FOSS mascots:
Wilber (GIMP Mascot, he's artistic)
Konqi (KDE Mascot, a cheerful dragon)
Gnu (GNU Mascot, a calm gnu)
etc.

Of course, Surge is more of a gamer cool

Also, it'd be important to relate the game specifically to software freedom, though the Spirits of Freedom of the story may be more general.

I'll think about it some more, but Open Surge is part of the software freedom world.

It doesn't matter that a casual player might not give a damn about software freedom. As a FOSS project, it's important for us. And for our birth niche smile The casual player can simply play. Those who want to know more, can get to know more.

I understand that who we are is more important than getting the approval of this or that segment. However, let's make it accessible, so people can understand what this game is, what the message is. And not to seem like propaganda smile

#5 2018-09-24 02:01:18

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

I do not want to make propaganda, but I do want to convey who we are as a project. I'm thinking about it, but here's something:

According to the Free Software Foundation, there are four essential freedoms for libre software:

0. The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).
1. The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
2. The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help others (freedom 2).
3. The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

From https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

Translating it into the language of games, we would have four Spirits:

1. Spirit of Playfulness
2. Spirit of Learning & Discovery
3. Spirit of Hacking
4. Spirit of Sharing

The merging of these spirits gives you a FOSS game.

By the way, I happen to be in this community since the beginning (duh). And I see that Open Surge actually has these 4 spirits in it smile

--

As a side note, I've been a Linux user for more than 10 years now, and there's no other FOSS project like Open Surge. None. I'm happy because, well, Open Surge has its place and fills in a gap in the libre world. After all, our uniqueness comes from who we are. smile

Board footer