Open Surge Forum

A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#26 2018-04-30 07:42:16

G.E.R.

Re: [Mod] Levels from Open Surge story

I get stuck with charge in a door (the wall right the big blue turbine), so I can not move the character anymore.

Yes, there is such a trap in Act 1 and Act 2. Find the Wind shield. When you get it, character will not moved by turbine.

#27 2018-04-30 13:58:23

lainz

I got the wind shield, but then I lost a life, and then I was from the right side of the door. Then I was not able to do anything, there was a 'wall' in the ceiling, like an electric wall. So I can not do nothing more in that level.

#28 2018-05-01 23:48:52

lainz

Well I've played almost all levels, win a lot of them.

Things to improve: The light blue elevator, sometimes it is on top, and I'm at the bottom, and I can't reach it anymore.

Things really good: The switch between characters, each one playing a role, and tricky levels smile

#29 2018-05-02 08:37:32

G.E.R.

lainz, please give me the coordinates, when you fall into the trap on City Chill. I will look for a problem.

I'm at the bottom, and I can't reach it anymore.

I know about this problem. If I not use "always_active" on the script, the elevator position reset on default when player drifts away. I think there is necessary to write "always_active" and "on_player_rect_collision" and maintain the elevator position only when player is this "rect_collision".

I also note that BFZ'brickset is temporary. I redraw it to a more colorful for match mystical theme of this zone.

#30 2018-05-08 09:46:02

G.E.R.

Magma mine background concept
MMZ_pr.png

Last edited by G.E.R. (2018-05-09 09:46:26)

#31 2018-05-16 09:02:18

G.E.R.

Open Surge story - NEW LEVELS!

I completed the work on 3 new levels for Open Surge. All preferences in the Wiki and forum have been taken into this.
Download link
https://yadi.sk/d/lgRyCYys3VyxVG

The game starts with Sunshine Paradise - 2. You should touch the red rectangle "WARP to CTZ" for warp to new levels.

All my PSF files from this work I uploaded in cloud, too:
https://yadi.sk/d/l7MZwDN73VyxRk

Read, please, explanations to the levels:

Crystal Temple
OS_CTZ_160518.jpg

Act 1. As stated in Wiki, there are high water level and many underwater areas on this level. The main part of the level passes underwater with periodic outputs to the surface. Also, there are many secret rooms.

Act 2 has 12 routes (4 different routes for each characrer, 4x3 = 12). There are less the underwater places, but many traps. I realized Ruben Caceres' idea about way switch: press the switch and look to the sign. It will indicate the direction of your way. Select the way and go. The difficulty level of routes: a Surge's ways is hard,  a Charge's way is med, a Neon's way is easy. The characters ways don't intersect and I created a system of hidden checkpoints. They are invisible, but they produce the standard sound when player collision with it. When player die, it restore the position of all players to the places where they were at the collision moment. To pass the level, you need to find and touch three "altars". After, Neon will teleported on the end of level, because he will go to the boss.
Also, there are complex wall+TNT. You should find the fire (if TNT on the air) or click the bomb (if it inderwater) to destroy wall.
I used a song Cradle Of Filth - The Graveyard By Moonlight as level music temporarily until TheSeventhEmerald writes his track. I think that music should be in this style.

Magma Mine + Spring Forge
OS_MMZ_160518.jpg

As was agreed, this Zones technically located in one location (in one level map). Spring Forge is located on top, Magma Mine is located on bottom. At first you play MMZ-1 with Charge and Neon, then SFZ-1 with Surge.

Magma Mine includes: lava, fires, the railway carriage, the acid pool and acid traps (act 2). There here will find application the fire shield and the acid shield. Technically, Lava is the obstacle brick with the "fire" identificator and it will eruption on the end of act 2.
In the act 2, Neon will will fall in a trap and Charge should save him (lower the lift with the fire shild).
The character, who finish the level, will fight with the boss (in future).
The railway carriage will moved when Charge and Neon jump into it. It works, but with bugs and I ask you to see the script and improve it for about gravity, pressing against rails and acceleration.

Spring Forge
OS_FSZ_160518.jpg

Spring Forge. There are many producing machines: a ring-machine, itembox-machine, spring-machine.
Act 1 is not linear. There are Signpost-machine on this act, you should find the lost elements (gear, chip and battery) on the level, then put in on the machine and turn the switch. When you did it, machine will create signpost and you can clear level.
Act 2 is linear and it contains a cellar-sections (which is localised the in very top of the level map, ha-ha-ha). In the cellar, you should find the light-switch. This rooms can has bonuses and traps. There are electrick traps on this level and you can to save oneself from them with the thunder shield. Also, this shield attracts you to magnets - it is will help in passing, but will also interfere in some places. I placed the spikes near to the magnets and you can lost of the shield if necessary.

Level maps:
Act 1 (download map PNG in ZIP archive)

OS_Map_Z9101_ver1mini.png

Act 2
Act 2 (download map PNG in ZIP archive)
OS_Map_Z9102_ver1mini.png

Now, I think that I will develop the final level, and then proceed to create decorations and ornaments for levels and modify levels (add additional routes, objects, replace flat surfaces with uneven ect)

I want any feedback about it.

#32 2018-05-16 18:17:23

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

I'm setting up a mirror of your levels, G.E.R. We're gonna use them for future reference. smile

Download: Surge_16_05_2018 | PSF files

A question: are you releasing the graphics you're making under the CC-BY 3.0?

I'll play the demo and give you feedback as well. wink

Thanks for the work!

#33 2018-05-17 10:10:28

G.E.R.

If you need the level maps or video, I can made it.

I posted the PSF files for members of Open Surge community. Each component is separate layer with its overlay parameters (as far as possible) on this files and I think that this can be useful for modders, BUT ALSO it is necessary if someone decides to modify the object/brickset image in the game. Simply put, it is a gift without any requirements or conditions.

Now I want the players to find as much as possible bugs, glitches and various other shortcomings. Despite the fact that I conducted a lot of tests of each fragment, an evaluation of other people is needed here. I want that you look the script - "objects\levels\9\Carriage.obj". The carriage is working, but roughly and sloppy.

Also, I want to ask what is look Sky Fortress zone? Is it an airplane, or town, or heavenly (sky) city, or something like a temple?

Last edited by G.E.R. (2018-05-17 10:13:33)

#34 2018-05-19 17:44:44

SynfigMaster91

You made a very nice progress on Open Surge. Keep going, fellas! wink

You have my support!

#35 2018-05-20 02:01:41

CharlyTx
Website

Yeah, you are doing a good job. Nice!

#36 2018-05-21 00:33:38

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Hey G.E.R., thanks for the work smile

G.E.R. wrote:

If you need the level maps or video, I can made it.

Gameplay videos would be amazing for future reference. Please make sure to mention the gimmicks smile

G.E.R. wrote:

Simply put, it is a gift without any requirements or conditions.

Would it be this: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ ?

--

I have yet to write a more thorough review of your levels, but I wanted to write you today, so you can have quicker feedback. smile I hope others can offer you feedback as well!

You asked about the carriage script. KZR wrote a few years ago a carriage script that worked pretty well. See the first 15 seconds of the video of his game, Shinobi Densetsu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CUtbLrgS9Y What would you like to add to your carriage? Physics?

I found bugs in Magma Mines. If Neon pushes the DNA door hard enough, he gets "teleported" somewhere. Also, there are these rocks behind a carriage, but they are obstacles. It's strange, because one time you pass right through them (when in the carriage), and then the rocks become the ground (when the real ground seems to be the rails).

In general, I missed more magma burning everywhere. I like the Fire Temple boss (Zelda Ocarina of Time), because you really get the feeling that you're in this fire place. See the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GCbQecD1GY . See that the whole scene burns. I really love the burning background - it keeps shining in red, so you get the impression that there is really fire there.

By the way, you have some really cool gimmicks smile

s008.png
s006.png

I got locked here:

s010.png

It's really a nice adventure smile

The light switches are amazing!

Getting into the ground:

s013.png

I'm still playing.

G.E.R. wrote:

Also, I want to ask what is look Sky Fortress zone? Is it an airplane, or town, or heavenly (sky) city, or something like a temple?

I imagine a mythical place in the sky. It floats thanks to the magical powers of Gimacian.

In the story, it says that Gimacian presses such and such buttons. I believe we must rethink that. Let's remember that Gimacian is, above all, a wizard.

Sky Fortress is a fortress in the sky built by (and sustained by) the powers of an evil wizard. Maybe you can get some inspiration from Harry Potter?

Although it doesn't float in the sky, the picture below is an example of a mythical place:

Peter_Pans_Neverland_1024x613.jpg

See the rainbow and the magic associated with the picture.

Last edited by Alexandre (2018-05-21 02:20:53)

#37 2018-05-21 10:02:39

G.E.R.

Yes, I will delete all ripped objects and after that we can share it.

What would you like to add to your carriage? Physics?

The acceleration and tight adherence to rails.

When Neon and Charge is the carriage, the script blocks management and moved they position. Precisely speaking, script assigns them coordinates in each cycle and the bricks type does not affect on it.
Like here:
illust_3_210518.jpg

I planned to put something in this area, but I don't have ideas about it.
How do you think, are there too much fire/lava traps on this levels? Is the acid traps appropriate here?

The bug with the DNA door is located in the engine and is associated with sprite. It has uneven contour. In my Sonic's mod, I solved this problem by modify the picture:
illust_2_210518.jpg

I created the opaque rectangular background and now this object, in fact, it is the brick with {obstacle TRUE} and  {obstacle FALSE} scenario.

I see you updated the engine. What important changes have been made? Should I adapt levels to new engine now? I think that it need to make a change to the scenario of 1up - do not interrupt the level music.

#38 2018-05-21 14:25:04

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

G.E.R. wrote:

The acceleration and tight adherence to rails.

First, see if you can get your hands in KZR's mod, because it has already been done. I don't know how he did it, maybe he can explain it to you, but I imagine you can get good results if you use the built-in physics of the engine (use things such as roll_player, strong_player and so on, but put your graphics on top of it).

G.E.R. wrote:

How do you think, are there too much fire/lava traps on this levels? Is the acid traps appropriate here?

I think there are too few fire gimmicks in the level. It needs more fire animations (even if they don't hurt the player), a more "magma" feeling, and a more burning environment in general. Please see the videos mentioned above.

No, I don't think the acid traps are appropriate here.

G.E.R. wrote:

The bug with the DNA door is located in the engine and is associated with sprite. It has uneven contour.

Yes, it's true.

G.E.R. wrote:

I think that it need to make a change to the scenario of 1up - do not interrupt the level music.

You can get that behavior today if you script a 1up object.

G.E.R. wrote:

I see you updated the engine. What important changes have been made? Should I adapt levels to new engine now?

There are no drastic changes for now. I have yet to integrate SurgeScript into the engine. You can continue to create your games normally smile If you have any questions, please let me know.

#39 2018-05-22 07:00:24

G.E.R.

I think that here we need a molten metal "rivers" and "magma falls" as decorations with zindex > 0.6. The engine has the acid shield, but I don't know where to apply it.

Last edited by G.E.R. (2018-05-22 07:01:19)

#40 2018-11-19 10:33:00

G.E.R.

Play Waterworks and Crystal Temple develop version.

Download Link
https://yadi.sk/d/DcSns5Wq4FSvFQ

The levels has a many routes/ways and secret places. There are some bugs, but the levels are playable. There is no backgrounds here yet, but I used thematic photos for clarity.

Crystal Temple has a high waterlevel and many underwater areas on this level, it making the level is difficult, but all underwater areas can be bypassed by wayrounds.

illust_1_191118.png

#41 2018-11-19 13:21:17

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

hey, a water mod cool

how was your experience migrating from 0.2.0 to the current version of the engine? what would be your main difficulty in using the software today? what is the easiest thing?

For the feedback:

Crystal Temple features a big scenery and is like a maze game, where you have to find your way out. Although it's a development version, I miss more action - waterworks has a bit more of it. I think that has been said.

a glitch (character stays stuck):
s000.png

this part is a bit difficult:
s004.png

perhaps you could explore more running & slopes, using those elements that make level design great:
s001.png

Gameplay isn't as exciting in my view, but I can see a lot of work has been put into it smile

As a side note, I'd like to be studying level design more in depth myself cool I'm interested in getting to know more in depth what makes them emotionally compelling. big_smile

#42 2018-11-20 08:42:36

G.E.R.

I just wanted you to see the base level map. зresently, levels is not interesting for play, because they is empty.
For an exciting game we need several level-specific-objects, decorations and enemies. It will be introduced gradually. Also, it need more beveled and uneven surfaces. I did not do this for several reasons: each slope/ramp is an individual brick, which I expect based on specific situation at the level, and at the same time I need to monitor PNG-the file size. I was planning to do it later.
I will take into account the comments.
Also, I ask to look at the stained glass windows (SGW) on Crystal Temple. This place is slow engine, because thw SGW is object with big sprite. How I can to realise a transperent glasses, without this bug?

#43 2018-11-20 14:32:51

KZR
Website

good level design plays with the subconscious, in a way that if you make the gameplay a chore it loses interest pretty fast.

if you give the player an objective, allow them some room to be spontaneous in their actions. the way from A to B should play like a music score changes tempo, tone, scale, etc, so that the player keeps engaged waiting for the chorus or a big finale.

explore the game's underlying mechanics in pleasant and interesting ways that feel rewarding to perform no matter how badly, and yet are not easy to master

still on the topic of exploring, a big map is only good if it's not empty. and monotonous.

don't be cheap! blind jumps and pitfalls: use them wisely. When creating and placing enemies, pay attention to human reaction times. don't overpower your enemies if the player can't match them somehow.

a consistent art style is a must. it should also not clash with the sprites, UI, and pretty much anything else

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

#44 2018-12-07 16:29:33

svgmovement

G.E.R. wrote:

Play Waterworks and Crystal Temple develop version.

I finally got a chance to play through this version. I enjoyed it.

G.E.R. wrote:

Also, I ask to look at the stained glass windows (SGW) on Crystal Temple. This place is slow engine, because thw SGW is object with big sprite. How I can to realise a transperent glasses, without this bug?

Maybe the glasses can be broken into smaller tiles.

-- svgmovement

#45 2018-12-09 22:38:12

KZR
Website

it's not a bug. big transparent sprites are slow to calculate. it's an engine limitation (no hardware acceleration)

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

#46 2021-07-09 22:50:10

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

I am reuploading this game for the purpose of historical preservation.

Title: Levels from the Open Surge story, by G.E.R.
Made with: early Open Surge 0.2.0 build 760
Year: 2018

Download game
Download OS_Map_Z9101_ver1.zip
Download OS_Map_Z9102_ver1.zip

Board footer