Open Surge Forum

A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2018-03-30 09:19:51

G.E.R.

[Mod] Levels from Open Surge story

I propose to evaluate several levels from Open Surge story.

It is first 10 zones, levels are designed taking into account all the recommendations.
Download link
https://yadi.sk/d/lgRyCYys3VyxVG  (upd 16 May 2018)

There are many new object in this project, I hope that it objects will be useful modders for their projects.

The work done and screenshots:

Sunshine Paradice
0_19d807_33d520d5_orig
I made small changes in the SPZ-1 to make the level linear.
Act 2 is easy and linear level.

Waterworks
0_19d808_b1752e1d_orig
0_19d809_bd88c28a_orig
Both act is linear levels with two routes and secret places. Act 2 has transport tubes.

Act 1 - Level map
0_19d13c_9fa656cd_M.png

Act 2 - Level map
0_19d810_f0b5abe_M.png

Rainbow Realm
0_19d80c_77298657_orig
0_19d80a_b213a79e_orig

As indicated in Wiki, this level includes brickset from Speed Slider. And other my decorations.
Act 1 has many confusing routes with many secret places and this act uses the looping system.
Act 2 more simple and has system of teleporters.
There are one friend on this level, is a ladybug. She give rings.
Action takes place in the evening (act 2 in the seaside).

Act 1 - Level map
0_19d13e_211794bf_M.png

Black Forest
0_19d80b_afb717ed_orig
There are rail-basket and doors on this zone. You should to search a switches to opening the doors.
Action takes in the night. Surge is seeking Charge on first act and find he at the end. Here Charge's prison is used as an output of level, instead the Signpost.
Surge and Charge are playing on act 2. Use Charge's ability of climbing (as Knuckles).

City Chill
0_19e616_2859a1da_orig
There are fans, blizzards and spikes as traps. The wind shield found application here. When you protected by wind shild, the wind does not act on you.
Backround by KZR.

Music Stadium
0_19e615_20b8eac4_orig
Created according to Ruben Caceres' drawings. Objects will be revisioned later. There are many musical notes, in each note has hidden ring.

Dragon Core (I did not like word "egg" in the title)
0_19e617_52cfc439_orig
This levels is less linear than the previous levels. There are many hidden places. Beware of spears and other traps. Surge and Charge break through a wall into a cave in end of Act 1 (according to game story). Act 2 is in cave with access to the surface. In the end of Act 2, Charge save Neon.

Crystal Temple
OS_CTZ_160518.jpg

Act 1. As stated in Wiki, there are high water level and many underwater areas on this level. The main part of the level passes underwater with periodic outputs to the surface. Also, there are many secret rooms.

Act 2 has 12 routes (4 different routes for each characrer, 4x3 = 12). There are less the underwater places, but many traps. I realized Ruben Caceres' idea about way switch: press the switch and look to the sign. It will indicate the direction of your way. Select the way and go. The difficulty level of routes: a Surge's ways is hard,  a Charge's way is med, a Neon's way is easy. The characters ways don't intersect and I created a system of hidden checkpoints. They are invisible, but they produce the standard sound when player collision with it. When player die, it restore the position of all players to the places where they were at the collision moment. To pass the level, you need to find and touch three "altars". After, Neon will teleported on the end of level, because he will go to the boss.
Also, there are complex wall+TNT. You should find the fire (if TNT on the air) or click the bomb (if it inderwater) to destroy wall.
I used a song Cradle Of Filth - The Graveyard By Moonlight as level music temporarily until TheSeventhEmerald writes his track. I think that music should be in this style.

Magma Mine + Spring Forge
OS_MMZ_160518.jpg

As was agreed, this Zones technically located in one location (in one level map). Spring Forge is located on top, Magma Mine is located on bottom. At first you play MMZ-1 with Charge and Neon, then SFZ-1 with Surge.

Magma Mine includes: lava, fires, the railway carriage, the acid pool and acid traps (act 2). There here will find application the fire shield and the acid shield. Technically, Lava is the obstacle brick with the "fire" identificator and it will eruption on the end of act 2.
In the act 2, Neon will will fall in a trap and Charge should save him (lower the lift with the fire shild).
The character, who finish the level, will fight with the boss (in future).
The railway carriage will moved when Charge and Neon jump into it. It works, but with bugs and I ask you to see the script and improve it for about gravity, pressing against rails and acceleration.

Spring Forge
OS_FSZ_160518.jpg

Spring Forge. There are many producing machines: a ring-machine, itembox-machine, spring-machine.
Act 1 is not linear. There are Signpost-machine on this act, you should find the lost elements (gear, chip and battery) on the level, then put in on the machine and turn the switch. When you did it, machine will create signpost and you can clear level.
Act 2 is linear and it contains a cellar-sections (which is localised the in very top of the level map, ha-ha-ha). In the cellar, you should find the light-switch. This rooms can has bonuses and traps. There are electrick traps on this level and you can to save oneself from them with the thunder shield. Also, this shield attracts you to magnets - it is will help in passing, but will also interfere in some places. I placed the spikes near to the magnets and you can lost of the shield if necessary.

Level maps:
Act 1 (download map PNG in ZIP archive)

OS_Map_Z9101_ver1mini.png

Act 2
Act 2 (download map PNG in ZIP archive)
OS_Map_Z9102_ver1mini.png

Also, I processed some basic images (sprites of characters and other) to give them a dimensionality.

I beg you to help to create normal background for Waterworks and give ideas about enemies.

All my PSF files from this work I uploaded in cloud:
https://yadi.sk/d/l7MZwDN73VyxRk  (upd 16 May 2018)

You can use their in any projects at your discretion.

Last edited by G.E.R. (2018-05-16 09:04:02)

#2 2018-03-30 12:25:49

TheSeventhEmerald

Re: [Mod] Levels from Open Surge story

Hey! Nice work here!

As I promised in the other post, I started playing levels again. I took a look to this. Let me do comments:

1. I like the level structure. It is entertaining and more or less different for each level. I think it could have more variety, though, but that may be a problem of the lack of content in the levels (read point 2).  However, in my opinion the bones for the levels are nice and could be cool to build things on top of these.

2. The levels, for now, feel very empty. I'm afraid you didn't put many enemies because the lack of custom ones, but however the levels are not very challenging at the moment. I understand that the first 2 or 3 may be easy, but from that point more traps and difficulties should be used.

3. Be careful with some custom objects and bricksets, specially with the slopes and collisions. The elevator in Black Forest will make you jump super-high suddenly if you run to the border. There was some parts in Waterworks with the same problem. However the style is nice, a remake by a good artist could make a nice thing with the levels.
In order to avoid the empty feeling I just commented before, also some decorative bricks could be nice.

4. I experienced problems with the elevators in the Black Forest Zone (after going up and down, I could not go up again xD)

To sum up, good concept structure, still lacks of content. I understand that it is difficult to put provisional content, but I would level up the priority of this (using even the default enemies from Open Sonic). I think they would be more interesting.

Finally, I am interested in the music thing. I see you reused some of the Sharp's theme by jobromedia for Black Forest (I don't know where the music of Waterworks and the other level came from). I think you may need original music for the new levels -I will work on it if you want smile
However, I have a problem: OST should be consistent through the game. I can try to imit the style of jobro, but it is difficult to get a very similar sound. I don't know if he left some MIDI files of the songs he composed. In that case, I could use my soundset so everything sounds more coherent.

Last edited by TheSeventhEmerald (2018-03-30 12:26:10)

Piece of cake...!

#3 2018-03-31 07:24:48

G.E.R.

I posted it to show our community my work and to search all bugs.
Need to understand that it is one of the prototypes, but not the final version and, for this reason, I did not do a lot of thorough tests.
For this reason, levels is empty. I have difficulty in creating of the enemies because I don't know who can live in these places.
I hope that you will help with ideas about enemies. I don't used enemies from 0.1.4, because enemies-robots is unsuitable for phylosofy of this game. But I can add them despite this, for the first time.
Also, I do not have enough imagination to come up with "mysterious creatures of Gimacian".
Lift bug is was corrected by modification of image drawing and modification of the script.

It is worth noting that I love Sonic's games behind a level structure. They levels has a structure, and player can play many times. I building levels on the this principle in my mods, I want that player wanted to go through the game several times.

Music for Waterworks was in the "music" folder in the game. Rainbow's music is music from Template Zone. Sharp's theme track, in my opinion, is ideal for Black Forest.

So, conclusinos:
1. I ask you to help with writing music for Music Stadium (MSZ).
2. I will be work on MSZ first, and next on Chity Chill (CCZ) , because MSZ has schemes of objects and the general concept of level.
3. In the Wiki said, that "MSZ is located in the middle of CCZ". in connection with this, my idea about the sequence: CCZ1 --> MSZ1 -> CCZ2, 3 --> MSZ 2,3.
CCZ: Action takes place in the morning. Played Surge and Charge. At the end of the level, they fall into a trap. One of character finds a portal in MSZ1. This portal working as exit from level CCZ1. Then, he play in MSZ1, find a "key" and return to CCZ2.
4. What is "Soda Pop"?

#4 2018-03-31 18:15:07

TheSeventhEmerald

Yes, I understand everything here is an early prototype and of course all the things I see are subject to changes.

We need some design ideas for enemies here. I will throw some stuff once I think about it, BUT we will need an artist to have some beautiful enemies (don't count on me for this hahaha tongue).
In any case, even the level art is subject to changes, so I wouldn't worry too much about using the enemies from Open Sonic. However, this is of course your decision at the end smile

About the music, I see Waterworks is there, I didn't noticed before. Under my point of view, maybe we should use the Sharp theme for Sharp,  even if it fits well other things. I mean, it was designed for that xD  But I think we should not care too much about it for now.
In any case, I will start thinking something for Music Stadium and City Chill. I have a pair of weeks full of stuff, that I will use for brainstorming. Then you may expect to see some post with music here big_smile I also believe I should work also something Rainbow Realm, so the Template music is free for other things.

About "soda pop", if you put it in Google you should see a translation for your language wink

Piece of cake...!

#5 2018-04-01 02:34:06

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Hey G.E.R.,

G.E.R. wrote:

It is worth noting that I love Sonic's games behind a level structure. They levels has a structure, and player can play many times. I building levels on the this principle in my mods, I want that player wanted to go through the game several times.

Yes, indeed!

I played the demo and I see you have level design skills.

TheSeventhEmerald did a nice review. I don't think we're there yet, but we might be onto something smile As you improve your levels, we can make a beta build with them.

I see some of the graphics are ripped; I'm afraid we can't use them. Open Surge is an open source game. All game content, including graphics and level design, must be released under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) license. Is that okay with you?

In your demo, I don't know what content is owned by you and what content you got from somewhere else. This is a liability. Can you make a credits file where you specify the authors of each thing?

TheSeventhEmerald wrote:

To sum up, good concept structure, still lacks of content. I understand that it is difficult to put provisional content, but I would level up the priority of this (using even the default enemies from Open Sonic). I think they would be more interesting.

If provisional content is the problem, opengameart.org has lots of free art licensed under the Creative Commons that can be used for that purpose. I myself used the site many times. As long as there is non-free content, we can't use them, not even as a beta.

ps: if you need help with scripting, please let me know wink

#6 2018-04-02 08:14:24

G.E.R.

Music for CCZ already created and placed in folder "music/future". I want to ask you do some work on music for levels: RRZ, BFZ (mystical music, keeping in suspense) MSZ and Dragon Egg / Crystal Temple Zones (for the future).

The ripped bricks from other games I used only on RRZ, because I followed the instructions in Wiki, but I also consider than this is unacceptable for this project. I will create new briskset for RRZ and place new bricks to the same coordinates in png file, not altering base level map. With the exception of RRZ brickset and unused decoration (they will be removed from project), all images was created by me. Only note - I used sets of brushes and patterns for Photoshop from site "photoshop-master.ru", it is free content. Also, this site has articles about drawing lessons.
I don't use copyrighted content, and it is very important to me.

As for the Soda Pop, my question was not about translations. This level has sketches, but marked as "canned level" and does not appear in storyline. It will be in the game?

So, I want to propose my sketches of objects for CCZ:
1. industrial fan, which blows away player if he without the Wind Shield:
0_19da40_70f2e1ef_orig

2. A falling icicles (hit player):
0_19da41_341756d1_orig

3. An electric sleigh, which transfer player on other section (or go away from level). But player should find a battery and an ignition key for start the sledge:
0_19da42_636cbac2_orig

There are more ideas?

#7 2018-04-02 10:56:47

TheSeventhEmerald

Nice! About the music, the stuff has become a bit complicated, so I opened a new topic here to discuss: http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/forum/vi … 611#p14611

The thing now I am curious about is where the songs from Waterworks and City Chill came from, the ones I saw in the forum were different.
In any case don't worry about it, I will focus in the new ones you need. smile

Piece of cake...!

#8 2018-04-04 13:31:04

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

G.E.R. wrote:

I don't use copyrighted content, and it is very important to me.

Thanks smile

G.E.R. wrote:

As for the Soda Pop, my question was not about translations. This level has sketches, but marked as "canned level" and does not appear in storyline. It will be in the game?

Soda Pop was replaced by Waterworks.

G.E.R. wrote:

But player should find a battery and an ignition key for start the sledge

Nice, but please make sure the player understands this mechanism smile Perhaps he can carry the battery around?

#9 2018-04-06 08:33:05

G.E.R.

There are difficulties with objects for Music Stadium. Character should jumping after keystrokes, as on springs, but in my case he landing and not bouncing. How make him jump after every collision with keys?

state "wait"
    {
        on_player_collision "jumping"
    }
<...>
state "jumping"
    {
        set_player_yspeed -200
        springfy_player
        change_state "wait"
    }

And about the metronome. I drew corpus and a pendulum, wrote a script of rolling, but after collision player with the pendulum, player placing in center of the object and don't rolling. Is there a simple script of rolling player with the pendulum, or I need to make calculations and derive the formula?

0_19de4f_4bddc009_XL.png

#10 2018-04-09 14:01:45

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

G.E.R. wrote:

There are difficulties with objects for Music Stadium. Character should jumping after keystrokes, as on springs, but in my case he landing and not bouncing. How make him jump after every collision with keys?

We'd need to see the object. Decorator on_player_collision is the right one to detect a collision between the player and the object. Alternatively, on_player_rect_collision can be used as well.

G.E.R. wrote:

And about the metronome. I drew corpus and a pendulum, wrote a script of rolling, but after collision player with the pendulum, player placing in center of the object and don't rolling. Is there a simple script of rolling player with the pendulum, or I need to make calculations and derive the formula?

0_19de4f_4bddc009_XL.png

If you want to make a pendulum object that the player can interact with, you need to derive the formula. Are you trying to make something like a movable brick with a pendulum movement? When movable bricks were implemented into the engine, I had to do the calculations myself.

I don't know how you plan to make the pendulum, but if I was tackling the problem myself, I would approximate its movement with a Simple Harmonic Motion.

If you need any help deriving the formulas, please let me know smile

#11 2018-04-10 07:17:46

G.E.R.

If you need any help deriving the formulas, please let me know

Yes, if it's possible. Deviation of the pendulum is a triangle. $trigA, $trigB, $trigC is a sides of this triangle, $trigC = 1/2 of heihgt of pendulum = 100 pix (const).
Respectively, angles of triagnle: 90 degrees, "angle()" degrees and "180 - 90 - angle()" degrees.
We know side C and all angles and we calculate the sides A and B from formulas. But in sum character clings to the center and stands still.

0_19e3b8_f0318b4d_orig

Code:

set_angle "55 * sin(2 * pi() * ($t += dt()))" // Deviation of the pendulum

let "$trigC = 100"
let "$angleBC = angle() * pi() / 180"
let "$angleAC = (90 - $angleBC) * pi() / 180"
let "$sinusAC = sin($angleAC)"
let "$sinusBC = sin($angleBC)"
let "$trigA = $SinusBC * $trigC"
let "$trigB = $SinusAC * $trigC"

set_player_position $trigA $trigB

#12 2018-04-11 14:41:29

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Hi G.E.R. Please take a look at the script below:

object "PendulumTest"
{
    requires "0.2.0"

state "main"
    {
        create_child ".PendulumTest.Basket"
        change_state "wait"
    }

state "wait"
    {
    }
}

object ".PendulumTest.Basket"
{
    requires "0.2.0"

state "main"
    {
        // --------------------
        // user-defined values
        // --------------------
        let "$radius = 100" // pendulum radius (pixels)
        let "$frequency = 0.7" // oscilations per second
        let "$amplitude = 55" // angular amplitude (deg)
        let "$offset = -90" // angular offset (deg)

// initialization
        let "$initial_x = xpos()"
        let "$initial_y = ypos()"
        let "$twopi = 2.0 * pi()"

// move the pendulum
        change_state "loop"
    }

state "loop"
    {
        // describing a simple harmonic movement
        let "$ang = $amplitude * cos($twopi * $frequency * $t)"
        let "$t += dt()"
        textout_centre default 0 15 "$ang"

// position relative to the object origin
        let "$x = $radius * cos(deg2rad($ang + $offset))"
        let "$y = $radius * -sin(deg2rad($ang + $offset))"

// set the pendulum position
        set_absolute_position "$initial_x + $x" "$initial_y + $y"
    }
}

To test the object, put a PendulumTest in your level. It will automatically spawn a basket that will perform the pendulum movement. If you want, you can change parameters such as radius and amplitude. At the moment, the basket does not pick up the player.

If you need any more help, please let me know. Cheers! smile

#13 2018-04-12 13:34:05

G.E.R.

I propose to evaluate next levels from Open Surge story. They not completed, but playable. There are no enemies, but level has a traps.

Download link
https://yadi.sk/d/48XSKfIL3UMTMy

Image files (PSF)
https://yadi.sk/d/MqiI48IK3UMTMz

City Chill
0_19e616_2859a1da_orig
There are fans, blizzards and spikes as traps. The wind shield found application here. When you protected by wind shild, the wind does not act on you.
Backround by KZR.

Music Stadium
0_19e615_20b8eac4_orig
Created according to Ruben Caceres' drawings. Objects will be revisioned later. There are many musical notes, in each note has hidden ring.

Dragon Core (I did not like word "egg" in the title)
0_19e617_52cfc439_orig
This levels is less linear than the previous levels. There are many hidden places. Beware of spears and other traps. Surge and Charge break through a wall into a cave in end of Act 1 (according to game story). Act 2 is in cave with access to the surface. In the end of Act 2, Charge save Neon.

Now, need to do bosses, enemies and cutscenes. Does anybody want?
I hope that someday TheSeventhEmerald will write music.
With regard to further work, I no have ideas what should be in the Spring Forge and Sky Fortnes. I have preliminary Crystall Temple level map (on paper), but in the beginning it is necessary to draw bricks and decorations. Magma Mine has incomprehensible description in Wiki - is it metallurgical combine or volcanic cave? What sequence of levels? CTZ1, СТZ2, MMZ1, SPZ1, MMZ2, SPZ2?
Also pay attention to the new brickset in RRZ

Last edited by G.E.R. (2018-04-12 13:36:38)

#14 2018-04-13 03:26:50

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Hey G.E.R, I played your levels smile

The cooperative mode you placed in City Chill plays very nicely, in my opinion.

What I like the most about Music Stadium is how creative this level is supposed to be. I like your interpretation. You have items on the level that are truly the product of an exciting imagination - it's surreal even. I wish we can have more of that strong imagination on the whole game cool

Probably, in the final release of the game, we'll combine the speed of Rainbow Road with the musical imagination of Music Stadium in a single level.

I find it intriguing that you switch from City Chill Act 1 to Music Stadium and then go back to City Chill. I think we can definitely adopt that scheme on the game.

In my view, Magma Mines if supposed to be full of lava - burning everywhere. Also, Spring Forge (metallurgical) is likely to be dropped. However, if you make a beta level, we can probably pick ideas, specially if they are imaginative wink

I think the best way of testing game ideas is testing them in a game. These beta levels are a wonderful job for this. I wonder what other players think. Let's validate this together, guys.

Thank you for making the levels.

Nice work, G.E.R. smile

#15 2018-04-14 07:33:24

G.E.R.

Hey, Alexandre! I'm very glad to hear it!

When I creating the levels, I strictly follow the recommendations in the Wiki and find all discussions on the forum.  I understood the phrase "Music Stadium: A level located in the middle of City Chill zone..." as sequence of levels, which should be CCZ1 -- MSZ1 -- CCZ2. But I think, that Music Stadium too linear and it will be necessary to build several different routes. There are one complexity related with multiplayer. It need to carefully think through all the options for the game and not allow passage one character in way for other character and they paths must periodically converge to accommodate for Checkpoint, and then split again.

Do not drop Spring Forge from game. This level keeps the logic in the story: Charge and Neon go to Magma Mine, Surge go th Spring forge. Also, Spring forge has very interesting thematic, and there are not other factory levels in this game. I thinked that here produced various "basic objects" for the whole game: springs, rings (dropping out of the ring-production machine), signposts, etc. Also, I thinked that level has not the Signpost initially and player must start the signpost-production machine to receive the Singpost and exit from level.

Am I understood correctly, that Magma Mine is a lava cave with various mechanical machines? Do you have an illustration from page http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/ind … _Mine_Zone ?

Last edited by G.E.R. (2018-04-14 07:35:14)

#16 2018-04-14 14:06:58

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Hey G.E.R.,

I do not have the illustration.

From what I understand, Magma Mines and Spring Forge are actually one level. Surge, Neon and Charge split up, but they are in the same area. Although the story tells explicitly about two zones, I don't see why they can't be two aspects of the same zone. We can have a factory level full of burning fire, perhaps melted metal.

Again, if you want to make two beta levels, it's fine, because we can gather more ideas. smile

G.E.R. wrote:

But I think, that Music Stadium too linear and it will be necessary to build several different routes.

Perhaps the player can go back and forth to/from CCZ a few times.

G.E.R. wrote:

I understood the phrase "Music Stadium: A level located in the middle of City Chill zone..." as sequence of levels, which should be CCZ1 -- MSZ1 -- CCZ2.

Music Stadium is a place located in that city. However, your interpretation of alternating levels is great. smile

#17 2018-04-14 15:48:35

G.E.R.

My plan was to create SFZ Act1 for Surge with various object-produced mashines and Signpost-produced mashine.
And a ct 2 with chemical objects, from which the acid shield saves.
Should I do separately SFZ and MMZ or create one level with with two independent routes for Surge and Neon+Charge?
I think, it is better to do one level with two sections and two bricksets. "Spring Forge" is upper section, "Magma mine" is bottom.

Last edited by G.E.R. (2018-04-14 15:49:25)

#18 2018-04-14 21:50:20

TheSeventhEmerald

About the music, don't worry -I will care about this. It may take some time though, since I have to setup things first. Also composition needs some time to have at least decent quality stuff.

Piece of cake...!

#19 2018-04-25 07:41:13

G.E.R.

I don't have idead about background for Magma Mine Zone. The appearance of the level:
0_19f1db_721cdb4d_orig

Background with caves decoration I draw on Crystal Temple.
Do you have ideas about landscape on background?

#20 2018-04-25 12:07:12

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

G.E.R. wrote:

Do you have ideas about landscape on background?

Based on our last discussion about merging the industrial + hot levels, I suggest a background along the lines of: melted metal, hot steel, liquid metal production process. See the animation below:

a9av58u.gif

Steel production:

9DzQD43.jpg

#21 2018-04-25 12:24:51

G.E.R.

I understand. Brick wall, metal beams, sparks, smoke and molten metal. I drawed lava texture for level, but is it relevant here? May be necessary to repaint it in colors of molten metal?

And is it possible to create object, witch will be create a hot air effect (Sandropolis zone)?

And other question, can we set transparency of brick in brickset file (not object)? Or if I want to set transparency of element, I should did it as object?

Last edited by G.E.R. (2018-04-25 17:30:21)

#22 2018-04-25 18:01:20

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

G.E.R. wrote:

I drawed lava texture for level, but is it relevant here? May be necessary to repaint it in colors of molten metal?

It's up to you, but if you can make an animated background, it would be best.

G.E.R. wrote:

And is it possible to create object, witch will be create a hot air effect

Can you demonstrate?

G.E.R. wrote:

And other question, can we set transparency of brick in brickset file (not object)? Or if I want to set transparency of element, I should did it as object?

For the time being, you can either create an object or draw a brick with a dithered pattern.

#23 2018-04-26 07:11:20

G.E.R.

I drew several scenery in the form of stained-glass windows for Crystal Temple and I don't know how and to put - as simply passable bricks, or as objects with transparent.

Can you demonstrate?

Hot air effect in Sandropolis:
0_19f26c_a546c67f_orig

in real photo:
0_19f26b_31f2204a_orig

Last edited by G.E.R. (2018-04-26 07:20:59)

#24 2018-04-26 13:39:01

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

In the game picture, do you see that the sky features a dithered pattern? You can use this effect to simulate translucency.

If you run Open Surge with a reduced color depth of 16 bits/pixels, you'll see that the translucency of the water is implemented via dithering. The shields are also like that.

kzE1gvC.png

Regarding the hot air effect, the best way to achieve it, in my opinion, is to embed the effect into your animations (brickset and background). Another way that might work is to put a passable brick with a dithered animation in front of the other bricks (I never tried, so I don't know if the result is good)

#25 2018-04-29 23:56:56

lainz

Good music and art, congratulations.

But I can't beat the first level, I get stuck with charge in a door (the wall right the big blue turbine), so I can not move the character anymore.

Edit: I think I found a bug, I'm not sure if is the level or the engine, but there are no logs, so I don't know how to debug it.

Last edited by lainz (2018-04-29 23:58:42)

Board footer