Open Surge Forum

A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2018-03-05 15:02:31

SynfigMaster91

Open Surge Wikia

Due to the recent shutdowns on SourceForge's server, Open Surge's wikia entries seem not working. I mean, the wikia works good, but I can't see the links to other stuff like tutorials, links, etc.

Clicking on the 'View source' button makes possible possible to watch them, but not showing images and stuff.

Is there any way to fix that?

#2 2018-03-07 06:13:54

G.E.R.

Re: Open Surge Wikia

The content of pages and articles not lost. It is in its place, but not displayed. If you click "View source", you can read text of articles without visual design.

#3 2018-03-07 14:59:02

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

I haven't been able to reach the computer for a few days. The problem will be fixed. I'm on it.

#4 2018-03-07 17:43:45

G.E.R.

It is very good, that you are there. When you restore Wiki, can you write more information about Surge's level?

I working on first 4 levels, but there are difficulties with ideas about ememies, leve-specific-objects and "whan should be on the levels".
So, I created Sunshine Paradise Act 2 and Waterworks as described in Wiki and in discussion on the forum. But I have some questions.
Rainbow Realm is used bricks from Speedy Slider and Balloon Park. This level has carnival theme and it is fast run, as Stardust Speedway. Right?
Then, I think than Black Forest Zone is forest theme level, simillary Hill Top, but with darkness themes and without lava. Surge save Charge on act 1 (or 2?) and Charge's prisson will be exit of level, instead the signpost.

#5 2018-03-07 23:36:45

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

G.E.R. wrote:

It is very good, that you are there. When you restore Wiki, can you write more information about Surge's level?

Many of these things will be changed. I will be releasing SurgeScript and, after that, I will reduce the number of levels. I'd suggest that you work on your MODs for the time being. Your mods are valuable not only to yourself, but to the community as a whole. Why not work on a prototype featuring Surge, where you develop concepts and prototype things?

To work on the official levels, there are two things that are needed at this stage. First, we need a decent brick template that covers many types of loops and a wide range of slopes. This is priority. It should cover everything. Second, we need decent art, as described in the Art Spec. Document (in the wiki). Then, for each level, we skin the brick template accordingly.

#6 2018-03-08 13:42:02

G.E.R.

Concepts of levels well described in the wiki, but I working only with first levels. For Black Forest, concepts and sketches must be carefully thought out and I'm thinking about structure of the level and create sketching on paper.
Beginning from City Chill, I don't have thinks about it.
Probably, I will make a base part of the first levels (1-2 ... 4-2) and will place on the forum with all comments. (Base level map and base objects).
So, Sunshine Paradice 2 level map (preliminary):
0_19c594_d6fe2988_XL.png

Then we will modify or correctint them, adding objects, ect.
Greatest difficulty is creating graphics of bricks, because I never did it early and I just started to master it.

#7 2018-03-11 00:57:21

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Fixed.

If you find any bugs in the wiki, please let me know.

#8 2018-03-12 14:05:16

SynfigMaster91

Alexandre wrote:

Fixed.

Thank you, Alex. Now I can learn without any problem ^^

#9 2018-05-26 00:11:52

CharlyTx
Website

Alexandre wrote:

Fixed.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate

What do you think about enabling this MediaWiki extension to provide a better and easier interface to help translators maintain translations of the wiki. It has also a tracker of outdated translations, unlike now that there isn't any way to know if a translation is or not up to date.

#10 2018-05-29 02:13:30

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

I'm not sure they should be continued.

Translations were an idea given ages ago by a user. The issue is that they easily get outdated and are often incomplete.

#11 2018-05-29 13:52:26

CharlyTx
Website

Alexandre wrote:

I'm not sure they should be continued.

Translations were an idea given ages ago by a user. The issue is that they easily get outdated and are often incomplete.

Then why should everything be in English? What about reaching a wider audience? Wouldn't be better to make easier to non-English speakers access to (old and new) API reference?

#12 2018-05-29 17:41:51

svgmovement

If we do not want to have an English-only Wiki, then we may need some volunteers who are willing to set
aside time to work on parts of the translation.

-- svgmovement

#13 2018-05-29 18:15:09

lainz

I think if you know how to program, you must read and write some english, else you can't find any help online.

#14 2018-05-31 02:09:56

CharlyTx
Website

lainz wrote:

I think if you know how to program, you must read and write some english, else you can't find any help online.

That's sadly true. But maybe it's a newcomer without knowledge in programming languages that just want to make their object work. Or it's just the user is more confortable reading in their own language. I don't know...

You decide.

#15 2018-06-01 08:27:34

G.E.R.

The complexity of translation is may if there are no analogous words in the other languages. For example, I don't know how translate the word "Brickset" on russial language and preserve its meaning. If I want to convey the meaning of the term, I should say "Список всех блоков и декораций для уровня", it's not very good for Wiki.

#16 2018-06-01 14:24:54

CharlyTx
Website

G.E.R. wrote:

The complexity of translation is may if there are no analogous words in the other languages. For example, I don't know how translate the word "Brickset" on russial language and preserve its meaning. If I want to convey the meaning of the term, I should say "Список всех блоков и декораций для уровня", it's not very good for Wiki.

Ok, then please ignore my request. Thanks for all your comments.

#17 2018-06-22 17:25:09

KZR
Website

we should only worry about translations when we have a solid release, because translating every new bit and change, as well as handling any potential text removal while we're still doing test builds... seems like a lot of wasted time and work to me

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

Board footer