Open Surge Forum

A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2015-08-04 11:41:45

MirceaKitsune

Story based games

I've played through some of the mods in the community pack, and found several levels with quality art as well as good gameplay. Still, I find that it's pretty boring to just run through worlds and have nothing else going on. I'd really like to try out a full game if any exists, and play through a complete campaign that has an actual story! More precisely I'm looking for this:

- A game that has enough levels and acts. At least 10 of them, hopefully even more.

- Only quality maps. Quality meaning they have music, use good looking sprites, have enough items and enemies, have a good and complex world setup with enough areas, and are lengthy enough overall. I know some levels are very short and simple, and use graphics that look like they were made in Paintbrush... which if obviously okay just not what I'm looking for.

- Levels are chained in order, so once you finish one act you're automatically taken to the next (quests). Ideally levels should be unlockable in the Stages menu too, so you can only play them individually after you've beaten them in the campaign.

- Have cutscenes and in-world dialogues! This is essential to having a good story mode, and one of the things I find most lacking in independent levels. For instance, once a character reaches an important area: Movement is temporarily suspended, the camera glides to show a place, music changes, you get a series of text box dialogues (which you press a key to advance through), then the camera moves back to your character and you resume playing. NPC characters that you can talk to would be another great addition.

- Optionally but preferably, I'm looking for games using the original characters (like Surge rather than Sonic). I wouldn't mind playing a Sonic port either, but I'm most interested in mods using original characters and stories.

#2 2015-08-04 14:51:49

TheSeventhEmerald

Re: Story based games

Well, the next objective for OpenSurge is design a complete game with all the content you say. We're working on it. However, finishing the engine is prioritary, that's why the game is not complete and there're only some mods.

There's a way to script custscenes, as you can see in 0.2.0. However the docs are not complete and nobody has done a tutorial on that. The only way to learn how to do cutscenes is reading the files in the game.

In fact, we need content. If you know artist and people who want to contribute with that, great. Jobromedia (another user here) makes good music. I also can compose something. But we need good sprite artists.
In the wiki there's also a TO-DO list, and also info about some planned levels, objects and this things. You can take a look and contribute with something smile

Piece of cake...!

#3 2015-08-04 19:46:42

MirceaKitsune

Re: Story based games

Good to know! I tried the default campaign and indeed, it looks exactly like what I was thinking of. But of course, it's unfinished. Considering how long OpenSurge has been around for, I also wondered if someone might have made another such game.

Board footer