https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

#77 2011-05-28 04:42:32

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Re: [Subproject] Sunshine Paradise

KZR wrote:

did some changes in the background. please tell me what you people think

in my opinion it's not perfect yet, but it's getting better and better.

* the water animation is very good. the white reflex is really good as well, however when the camera moves, it moves like it is detached from the water.

* the characters, the art of the brickset and of the water in the background are 100% retro. Great! However, not everything is that way: the mountain is like an oil-painting, and that's definitely not retro. The sky is also not retro.

So, I think there's still some work to be done on the background, but we can see some measurable progress on it! Good job! wink

-------

How are the other tasks doing, guys? Enemy/item art, scripting...? SilverstepP, lunarrush, Race...? Any difficulties? Questions?

#78 2011-05-28 07:07:19

SurgeChris

The brickset is good so far. The only things I need to do is make trees and code in the whole brickset. smile

Your teacher asks you. What to answer? Say this:
"I thought the teacher is supposed to know."

#79 2011-05-28 12:27:19

KZR
Website

@ Alex

i agree with you, but i would prefer to keep the sky like this. i want to add a real nice scripted lens flare effect like this:

lens-flare-tut-shot1.jpg

Edit: I think the background task is well over 50% now. I have worked on the points you mentioned. please review when you have time smile

Last edited by KZR (2011-05-28 13:29:44)

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png

#80 2011-05-28 15:28:59

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

SurgeChris wrote:

The brickset is good so far. The only things I need to do is make trees and code in the whole brickset.

Good. smile

KZR wrote:

@ Alex
i agree with you, but i would prefer to keep the sky like this. i want to add a real nice scripted lens flare effect like this:

How do you plan to do this?

Please notice one thing: unfortunately Allegro 4 is software rendered, hence we cannot abuse of transparencies/blending effects, as they make the game really slow on slow hardware. My Linux computer already gets very slow when I get close to the scripted water in the test level, to the point it's almost unplayable.

Sure you can put nice effects in the game, but we'll have to figure out some retro-way (not involving too many transparent pixels) to make those effects.

KZR wrote:

Edit: I think the background task is well over 50% now. I have worked on the points you mentioned. please review when you have time

the water scroll looks fixed now. thanks! smile

the mountain is now better than the oil-painted one, but it still doesn't look like a mountain. those trees on it make it look too "mathematically aligned". for example, that background in dark forest prototype really does look like a mountain, however i guess that wouldn't fit it here because that's for a darker level.

edit: btw, here's a background that looks like a mountain
leveditp3_1.png
leveditp3_3.png

----

any other news? scripts? difficulties?

Last edited by Alexandre (2011-05-28 17:13:04)

#81 2011-05-28 15:52:31

KZR
Website

for the lens flare to be cpu friendly, i think it can be done in the bg, at the cost of no alpha.

also regarding cpu usage, i'm designing a way to have an in-game menu to tweak sound and graphics. it's only a matter of designing objects that use alpha to be compatible with a on/off variable given by the menu.
So, if alpha effects got disabled in the menu, the object would run an alternative state without set_alpha, and maybe with a different animation.

#82 2011-06-09 14:32:52

SurgeChris

I need comment and criticism on the following:

21bsqae.png

First of all, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I'M MISSING, SINCE THE BRICKSET IS FAR FROM DONE.Then, criticize it. Finally, just comment all you want. smile By the way, i changed the tree trunk a bit. tongue And yes, there isn't so much change. Also, if you think I'm missing a palm tree, could someone help me draw the leaves? I'm not good at drawing leaves.

P.S.: Good news, people! My school holiday is near, so I have MUCH more free time than usual. I'm sure I can invest my free time to work in this project. wink

Last edited by SurgeChris (2011-06-09 14:33:49)

#83 2011-06-09 14:55:06

SilverstepP

SurgeChris wrote:

I need comment and criticism on the following:

21bsqae.png

First of all, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I'M MISSING, SINCE THE BRICKSET IS FAR FROM DONE.Then, criticize it. Finally, just comment all you want. smile By the way, i changed the tree trunk a bit. tongue And yes, there isn't so much change. Also, if you think I'm missing a palm tree, could someone help me draw the leaves? I'm not good at drawing leaves.

P.S.: Good news, people! My school holiday is near, so I have MUCH more free time than usual. I'm sure I can invest my free time to work in this project. wink

Waterfalls, running water for water slides, water, water stuff in general, and also water.

Did I mention water? roll

Like the running water-slopes in Labyrinth Zone that Sonic slides down. Those would be pretty neat.

#84 2011-06-09 19:28:05

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

SurgeChris wrote:

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I'M MISSING, SINCE THE BRICKSET IS FAR FROM DONE

a 64x64 group layout. this would save the team a lot of problems.

#85 2011-06-09 20:05:49

KZR
Website

I have time tomorrow. want some help with it?

#86 2011-06-10 00:55:02

SurgeChris

SilverstepP wrote:

Waterfalls, running water for water slides, water, water stuff in general, and also water.
Did I mention water?
Like the running water-slopes in Labyrinth Zone that Sonic slides down. Those would be pretty neat.

Water should be easy. smile

Alexandre wrote:
SurgeChris wrote:

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I'M MISSING, SINCE THE BRICKSET IS FAR FROM DONE

a 64x64 group layout. this would save the team a lot of problems.

I might need help with this.

KZR wrote:

I have time tomorrow. want some help with it?

Just help me with the group layouts. About the water stuff, I think I can use your water object sprites (with your permissions, of course).

#87 2011-06-10 01:07:59

SilverstepP

Work on water (in a seperate .png; animated bricks need their own pngs since RBE doesn't support them). I'll see about making another new template for 64 by 64s.

#88 2011-06-10 01:28:19

KZR
Website

@Chris ok will do:) Permissions: whatever i do for/with open surge, including my mod's assets, are free for everyone.

@Silver RBE does not support them, but there is a way to get it ready for manual editing. as long as they are in the end or beginning of the image, they shouldn't be too hard to add manually. maybe they will need manual regrouping as well, but after it is done, i believe this level's assets wil be largely used as templates for the next ones.

Last edited by KZR (2011-06-10 01:30:10)

#89 2011-06-11 04:03:37

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

I wonder if we can upgrade Sunshine Paradise's brickset to match SilverstepP's ultra template?

http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/forum/vi … php?id=960

It works pretty flawlessly, and it's receiving updates. Maybe we could just wrap the textures in there and then add the trees, leaves, etc.

#90 2011-06-11 05:23:16

SurgeChris

This?

2m0a41.png

I'll combine the old bricks soon. smile

Last edited by SurgeChris (2011-06-11 05:23:48)

#91 2011-06-11 17:36:34

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

SurgeChris wrote:

This?

yes, but you're forgetting many things like: grass, leaves, trees, water, internal background (the darker texture) etc. Also, the clouds (look for them in the RBE) in the brickset aren't supposed to look like that: they could be some piece of grass as well. The pipes shouldn't be textured.

#92 2011-06-12 00:45:34

SurgeChris

Alexandre wrote:

yes, but you're forgetting many things like: grass, leaves, trees, water, internal background (the darker texture) etc. Also, the clouds (look for them in the RBE) in the brickset aren't supposed to look like that: they could be some piece of grass as well. The pipes shouldn't be textured.

SurgeChris wrote:

I'll combine the old bricks soon.

P.S.: Pipes? I know there are some, but which ones? Also, which ones are clouds?

Last edited by SurgeChris (2011-06-12 00:46:46)

#93 2011-06-13 00:57:38

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

SurgeChris wrote:

P.S.: Pipes? I know there are some, but which ones? Also, which ones are clouds?

It's wise to use this new template made by SilverstepP:

http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/forum/vi … php?id=960

it's been simplified, and there's clear indication of the type of the bricks.

#94 2011-06-16 12:05:32

KZR
Website

s039.png

do the mountains look ok now?

#95 2011-06-16 12:48:16

SurgeChris

KZR wrote:

No offense, KZR, but, in my opinion, they looked slightly worse than before.

#96 2011-06-16 13:19:58

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

SurgeChris wrote:
KZR wrote:

No offense, KZR, but, in my opinion, they looked slightly worse than before.

i, on the other hand, think the mountains are ok now (shouldn't be dithered, though), but the rest of the background is a misfit (specially the sky). in my opinion, the only things that are ok at this point are the mountains and the water. watch that big shadow in the mountains despite the big sun in the sky.

if you were on a helicopter flying over sunshine paradise, what exactly would you see? i imagine a river located in a vast field with some (mis)placed trees on its margins... plus with some mountains far away.

Note: if you're using free graphics to make these mountains, please give credit.

btw surgechris, how is the brickset going?

#97 2011-06-16 14:34:17

SurgeChris

The brickset is... well, I'm not so sure, since I'm busy with things right now. But when holiday arrives (tomorrow's my last day of school big_smile), I should make some significant progress.

P.S.: If you ask me how SSP would look like from a helicopter, I might imagine the following:
- Plains with light-colored and tall grass
- Several plants and a lot of trees
- Little lakes in several places
- A huge river that begins from a large waterfall (Surge should run from the end of the river (where the meadow is) to the waterfall, and on his way the level would look greener and greener. When he arrives at the waterfall, he finds a dam which would be the location of Waterworks Zone.)
- Several animals (which MIGHT become your enemies tongue (Is it just me or do others also think that wolves don't belong in meadows?))
- African grassland! tongue

Last edited by SurgeChris (2011-06-16 14:39:55)

#98 2011-06-16 19:14:53

KZR
Website

Thank you for your insight on the background. I'll try to work it further considering your thoughts smile

I tried adapting the mountains from Dark Forest Prototype, but i also thought that the shadows are wrong. IMO the old mountain felt better in terms of overall composition. the colors were right, the shape was right, only the placement of trees was ruining it. but that's my opinion, what do you think? I think we should revert to the old mountain and add the feeling of bumps and mounds present in the current one.

Alexandre wrote:

Note: if you're using free graphics to make these mountains, please give credit.

I'm making this background from scratch

#99 2011-06-16 20:29:19

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

KZR wrote:

I tried adapting the mountains from Dark Forest Prototype, but i also thought that the shadows are wrong. IMO the old mountain felt better in terms of overall composition. the colors were right, the shape was right, only the placement of trees was ruining it. but that's my opinion, what do you think? I think we should revert to the old mountain and add the feeling of bumps and mounds present in the current one.

ok.

SurgeChris wrote:

- A huge river that begins from a large waterfall (Surge should run from the end of the river (where the meadow is) to the waterfall, and on his way the level would look greener and greener. When he arrives at the waterfall, he finds a dam which would be the location of Waterworks Zone.)

man.

I definitely agree.

#100 2011-06-16 21:22:03

SilverstepP

I vote we make water a higher priority since it's one of the few features that's needed to make Sunshine Paradise. Anyone else agree?

Board footer