A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2019-02-16 11:15:16

KZR
Website

[Discussion] Mario Maker style editor

I just recently watched the Mario Maker 2 video and it's getting me quite interested. But coming back to Open Surge, I noticed that even though the editor has come a long way it still has room for improvement.

what if the engine could load all existing .brk files, but only selectively load individual bricks if they need to be displayed somewhere, discarding them if not used? this could even be used to generate level-specific .brk file and perhaps even stitch together all the loose bricks into one single png for easy redistribution of levels.

We would have a very expanded brick palette, overcoming one of the difficulties people often have when creating levels - adding and changing content

just a thought. what are you guys thinking?

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

#2 2019-02-18 13:02:52

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Re: [Discussion] Mario Maker style editor

KZR wrote:

I just recently watched the Mario Maker 2 video and it's getting me quite interested. But coming back to Open Surge, I noticed that even though the editor has come a long way it still has room for improvement.

what if the engine could load all existing .brk files, but only selectively load individual bricks if they need to be displayed somewhere, discarding them if not used? this could even be used to generate level-specific .brk file and perhaps even stitch together all the loose bricks into one single png for easy redistribution of levels.

We would have a very expanded brick palette, overcoming one of the difficulties people often have when creating levels - adding and changing content

just a thought. what are you guys thinking?

I think we need a new tool like the Brickset Editor Tool, which is a bit outdated.

If such a tool existed, it could handle all the complexities of brick creation and brick mixing. It could make things easier to use and add functionalities like the ones you have described.

Compared to what we had in the old days of 0.1.x, the current brickset engine no longer requires the 'angle' attribute, so a brickset tool would no longer need to compute these. In addition, we also support collision masks now, which is a big plus. Making this tool should be easier than before.

If someone in the community with the programming skills would take the initiative to make such a tool, I think it would be beneficial for everyone.

Board footer