Open Surge Forum

A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2013-12-04 04:20:55

aronthehedgehog

am i?

am i the only one who goes on this website all the time because i seem to be the only one on right now.

Not active much anymore.
The only things I do now is just let inspiration come to me when it's needed.
Also bad profile pic because I don't have anything else in mind.

#2 2013-12-04 20:24:23

fahyda

Re: am i?

i dont go on this website that much because theres not alot of post on this website

#3 2013-12-05 11:34:53

KZR
Website

not all the people here have much free time. It was more lively 2 - 3 years ago, but life changes. some people went to college, others have jobs and family to take care of, or just have something else to do.

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

#4 2013-12-05 23:45:41

aronthehedgehog

yeah right now i'm in 9th grade and i go on this website every day and thus i also develop stuff my current project is the christmas mod

Not active much anymore.

#5 2013-12-08 02:07:28

jobromedia
Website

Time changes things inevitably. I myself try to visit this site at least once per month to keep an eye on things here. I'm still working on music for this game, but let's just ssay that other games got their ears on my skills as well.

#6 2013-12-08 08:26:40

aronthehedgehog

yeah.

Not active much anymore.

#7 2014-02-02 05:55:52

S32X
Website

KZR wrote:

It was more lively 2 - 3 years ago.

I think the forums will become like this once more when we finally have a stable build of the engine and a complete [demo] version of the game and start getting a larger audience, until then it's sorta... dead. hmm

#8 2014-02-03 17:43:21

lainz

IMHO remove the OpenSonic site and change it to OpenSurge from now. Is playable, include user made levels and enjoy the game.

#9 2014-02-03 18:10:36

TheSeventhEmerald

Also, I think that the "marketing" is not very good. In my opinion this is the BEST Sonic 2D engine right now. Really flexible, and easy to learn and use; however, the number of downloads is not very high.
I mean, 900 downloads / week is good (I took the number from Sourceforge) but, if we consider the quality of this engine vs. that number of downloads, you realize that is very low. Sonic is a very well-known franchise. If try to focus on a bit more of marketing, I'm sure the forums will have new people. big_smile

Well, maybe we'll visit the forum the same as always, but it will have more activity. We can try also to extend a bit the content in the forums. For example, a section about tip & tricks and code tutorials made by users. It's something that there's on every game engine forum, and game asset section and custom-levels / quests section are usually separated. Also, it's possible to make a short demo levels for the 0.2.0 version, so it looks more complete to the user.
The same we can expand a bit the forum, we can try to focus in completing the wiki, at least, with basic resources. Some of them are incomplete.
And, of course, a bit more of Twitter and Facebook. I saw you have a Facebook group, with the main developers, and that's really good. I suggest to use Twitter too, to have feeedback with the users and announce news. Contact with Sonic fan-pages and forums, a lot of Sonic players would be interested in play this and try to make some levels. They will be interested in the use of Sonic characters and scenarios, so it would also be a good idea to upload some Sonic images, sprites files, and characters objects in order they can also use these characters.

In fact: in my opinion, we can improve the number of members simply giving the users some good resources (tutorials and tips, and Sonic resources so they can make Sonic fan games), making us more visible in social websites and so on. Also, it could be a good idea to convince the people that this is not only a Sonic engine, it's a complete general platformer engine, so we can reach more people. smile

What do you think?

Piece of cake...!

#10 2014-02-05 20:42:59

lainz

TheSeventhEmerald wrote:

Also, I think that the "marketing" is not very good. In my opinion this is the BEST Sonic 2D engine right now. Really flexible, and easy to learn and use; however, the number of downloads is not very high.
I mean, 900 downloads / week is good (I took the number from Sourceforge) but, if we consider the quality of this engine vs. that number of downloads, you realize that is very low. Sonic is a very well-known franchise. If try to focus on a bit more of marketing, I'm sure the forums will have new people. :D

Well, maybe we'll visit the forum the same as always, but it will have more activity. We can try also to extend a bit the content in the forums. For example, a section about tip & tricks and code tutorials made by users. It's something that there's on every game engine forum, and game asset section and custom-levels / quests section are usually separated. Also, it's possible to make a short demo levels for the 0.2.0 version, so it looks more complete to the user.
The same we can expand a bit the forum, we can try to focus in completing the wiki, at least, with basic resources. Some of them are incomplete.
And, of course, a bit more of Twitter and Facebook. I saw you have a Facebook group, with the main developers, and that's really good. I suggest to use Twitter too, to have feeedback with the users and announce news. Contact with Sonic fan-pages and forums, a lot of Sonic players would be interested in play this and try to make some levels. They will be interested in the use of Sonic characters and scenarios, so it would also be a good idea to upload some Sonic images, sprites files, and characters objects in order they can also use these characters.

In fact: in my opinion, we can improve the number of members simply giving the users some good resources (tutorials and tips, and Sonic resources so they can make Sonic fan games), making us more visible in social websites and so on. Also, it could be a good idea to convince the people that this is not only a Sonic engine, it's a complete general platformer engine, so we can reach more people. :)

What do you think?

I think that they need a fan page not a group in facebook. Dont forget google+. And check the beta site http://opensurge.bl.ee/

Board footer