A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2012-08-21 05:19:30

jobromedia
Website

[Music submission] Open Surge theme song

Well then people... Alex asked for a very good high quality title song for Open Surge. And since I cannot let such a challenge down I've written it. I hope you can handle it. When my boss heard this it looked as he had a personal visit from God!

Are you ready?

stats.png

stats.png

For those who wants to hear it in 320 kb/s then you can listen to it on Ubetoo.

http://www.ubetoo.com/johanbrodd/63421

Please click on the ad since that gives a bit of revenue to me. smile If you like this song that is. cool

:edit: I've created a video with this theme as well, for those who want that. smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJxJBgELIzE

Last edited by jobromedia (2012-09-26 04:28:48)

#2 2012-08-21 16:33:45

S32X
Website

Re: [Music submission] Open Surge theme song

O_O Whoa... That is AWESOME!!!! Great for an Intro! I sit in amazement and envy. big_smile

#3 2012-08-21 20:52:43

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

jobro, I asked for a lil' title screen song and you made a full featured theme song for Open Surge. wow.

This is very beautiful. I can see you've put lots of hard work into this music. smile

I hope you don't mind, but I answered in the other thread: http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/forum/vi … 902#p10902

#4 2012-08-22 02:21:46

jobromedia
Website

You see it all comes down to the first impression. A game that holds semi good resources like graphics, sounds, and music tends to get less exposure. To get the most exposure we need something that puts the game straight smack dab right in the center of where the exposure is. cool And that is with a high quality theme song. That's one of the ways how SEGA gets their lately crappy Sonic games sold.

I've put an average of about 35 hours per week down into my music, for the last 30 years. And with 54000+ hours invested in my music there's no wonder I'm good at what I do. And that's exactly why I cannot afford to provide a "lil' title screen song". No way never.

As an open source project we need to fetch the best of the best of the very very best resources to it. I didn't join this project because I'm semi good. Hell no! I joined the project because I'm one of the best composers around this globe.

Last edited by jobromedia (2012-08-22 02:23:12)

#5 2012-08-22 03:59:26

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

jobromedia wrote:

You see it all comes down to the first impression. A game that holds semi good resources like graphics, sounds, and music tends to get less exposure. To get the most exposure we need something that puts the game straight smack dab right in the center of where the exposure is. cool And that is with a high quality theme song. That's one of the ways how SEGA gets their lately crappy Sonic games sold.

I've put an average of about 35 hours per week down into my music, for the last 30 years. And with 54000+ hours invested in my music there's no wonder I'm good at what I do. And that's exactly why I cannot afford to provide a "lil' title screen song". No way never.

As an open source project we need to fetch the best of the best of the very very best resources to it. I didn't join this project because I'm semi good. Hell no! I joined the project because I'm one of the best composers around this globe.

Okay. smile

#6 2012-08-22 22:27:54

Sugarmaster
Website

Simply awesome.

"The true master is always learning"

#7 2012-08-23 00:02:40

KZR
Website

great indeed, but it sounds like an ending song to me, not a title song

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

#8 2012-08-23 03:40:31

jobromedia
Website

Ending song? Not at all. This song is perfect as a title song because:

* It isn't that dramatic, yet it shows the epicness that the advanture holds for the players.

Listen to the themesong from Super Mario Galaxy, and you'll hear what I'm talking about. A good theme song starts off bombastic, but not too bombastic to overwhelm the gamer. This is a part of the strategy to get the player custom to the overall standard of the music, and then as they gets comfortable enough the first boss comes around and increases the drama. Then as the final boss is beaten and all seams hopeless then the end scene starts, the music blares off in small scale. Then as the fireworks starts to go off in the night the music gets more intense , and as the credits roll by then the music hits the highest intensity.

Building a decent title song is a bit like building a level in Doom 2 / Duke 3D. My brother wanted to build as large as possible, to have as much space to roam around in, but this makes pretty boring levels. What one have to do is to build from the inside out. The first thing I added to the theme song was the piano / guitar part. Then I added the brass sections and percussion, and made the track larger

It might be hard to believe, but the bombasticness of this song is at a scale of 5 this song comes in around 1.5.  It is this because I haven't used any elaborate chord sequences, just some simple poly-rhythms going on. You'll know once I provide the end music that it's the end music. cool

Last edited by jobromedia (2012-08-23 03:50:48)

Board footer